Chapter 2

The sun set in the west. The late afternoon sunlight covered the sky.

He Yi Chen stood in front of the floor-to-ceiling windows in the office on the tenth floor, surprised at why he was in the mood to admire the setting sun.

Perhaps, because she came back.

Mei Ting opened the door to see lawyer He with his back to her standing in front of the windows. He held a cigarette in his hand and had a desolate appearance ...... Desolate? Mei Ting simply doubted her own eyes. Can this word be used for lawyer He who has always been full of confidence, calm and collected?

Yi Chen heard the door open, turned and asked: "What is the matter?"

"Oh," Mei Ting snapped out of her own thoughts and quickly said: "Lawyer He, Vice President Zhang of Hong Yuan Corp. has arrived."

"Invite him to come in." Yi Chen push away his chaotic train of thoughts and wholeheartedly engrossed himself into his work. He glanced at the clock on the wall——five o'clock, but she had not come yet.

Finally, he sent away Vice President Zhang, Yi Chen wearily leaned back in the chair and closed his eyes to rest. Suddenly, a large palm slapped his shoulder, Yi Chen grudgingly opened his eyes. "Lao Yuan."

After graduating from university, he declined postgraduate study offer and instead started work in"'Yuan Xiang Law Firm," which has now been renamed as "Yuan Xiang He" since he became one of the partners. Lao Yuan and another partner Xiang Heng were also University C alumni. Xiang Heng graduated a year earlier than him whereas Lao Yuan graduated many years ago.

The tall, sturdy and big person who looked more like a bandit leisurely sat down across from him and arrogantly crossed his legs. "What do you plan to do later?"

Yi Chen said without looking up: "Overtime."

"Cannot be la!" Lao Yuan shrieked. "Hey, today is the weekend!"

"So what?"

"So what!" Lao Yuan repeated his words and shook his head. "This really sounds like something a cold-blooded, ruthless and workaholic He Yi Chen would say."

Yi Chen squinted. "I certainly did not know you are so good at rhetoric."

"NO, NO, NO." Lao Yuan shook his hand. "This is the consensus from all the females who know He Yi Chen." Lao Yuan leaned forward. "Yi Chen, I have been wanting to ask you, actually are you gay or have an unmentionable illness?"

"Regarding this kind of silly nonsense, only someone who is crazy will pay attention to it," He Yi Chen thought. Mei Ting came in with two cups of coffee, and Yi Chen asked her: "Did a Miss Zhao come today?"

Mei Ting thought for a moment, shook her head and said: "No."

Yi Chen grunted to show that he heard and said to Mei Ting: "I don't have much to do here so you better go home early."

Mei Ting shook her head and said: "I'm in no hurry. Lawyer He, when are you leaving? Do you need me to help you to buy something to eat?"

"No need, thank you."

Mei Ting got the message and left with a disappointed look on her face.

Lao Yuan laughed heartily: "Hey, pretty girl Mei Ting is interested in you. An office romance, oh that doesn't sound bad!"

"She is a decent girl so you better not say such nonsense." Yi Chen warned him.

A heart of stone! Lao Yuan subtly shook his head. Yi Chen's attitude towards women has always been courteous and thoughtful, but never more. All these years, who knows how many women have had their hearts broken by the name of "He Yi Chen."