Chapter Three: Interrogation

.•° ✿ °•.

The days slowly inched passed, and I sat idly in my cell, longing for some change, something to disturb the constants purgatory-like state I'd been living in for the past week. I hadn't heard from the King at all, as a matter of fact, no one had informed me of anything to do with my sentence. Sighing, I ran my finger along the cracks on the wall, wondering if I would ever see the light of day again. Then, as if in answer to my wish, the clang of the prison door rang out, before a soldier, whom I hadn't yet met, appeared at my door.

"Rosalie Alcott. Get up." he instructed, opening the lock I'd spent hours trying to pick.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked.

"I'm under no obligation to answer any of your questions. Do as I told you, prisoner." he spat the last word with such disdain, you would think I murdered his entire family.

I obliged, and the man bound my wrists together, before gesturing me to follow him. I did, welcoming the change, and wondering what it was we were doing. We marched passed several other cells, before emerging from the prison, into a musty basement. We then ascended to the first floor, and at last, entered a lavishly decorated study, where, to my dismay, sat the King. The soldier pushed me into a chair across the table from him, before taking his leave.

"Are the restraints really necessary?" I shot the King a cold look.

"Yes indeed, my dear. You never know what a woman so reckless as you might do, if given the chance." he smiled.

"What am I doing here?" I questioned, sceptical of the King's intentions.

"You're being interrogated, of course." he answered matter of factly.

"And what are you doing here?"

"The interrogating." he smirked.

"Since when did le Roi take it upon himself to fulfill such tasks?" I asked, keeping up an indifferent front.

"Well, I find myself quite bored with all this Revolutionary War nonsense, if you feel you must know."

"Ah. I'm afraid you won't be getting any information from me, though, so you might as well give up." I retorted.

"It matters not whether you answer my questions. Of course, it would be nice if you did, however, I'm contented with simply toying with you."

"Toying with me? You think you have any sort of effect on me? Well, I hate to tell you, but I'm immune to your charms." I responded.

"Charms?" he smirked, "You think I'm charming, then?"

"No! Dieu, tu es si bête! I simply meant that you cannot faze me."

"It didn't appear that way the day I met you." he laughed.

"That's because you, well, you were - You... Uh..." I trailed off, not knowing how to finish that sentence, as I felt my face turn a shade of crimson.

"So that is the way to get a rise out of you, hmm? Noted." he smiled.

"Get on with what you brought me here for, so that I can take my leave as soon as possible." I scoffed, looking away from the King.

"And here I was thinking you'd grown fond of me." he responded, chuckling, "Besides, you did already tell me it was of no use, so why bother?"

"Then send me back."

"Someone's awfully demanding for being in such a vulnerable position."

"Vulnerable? To what, exactly? You?" I laughed.