Chapter Twenty-One: The Letter

.•° ✿ °•.

My dear friends,

If you're reading this, then I am long gone. I've returned to my home in France to continue fighting for the Revolution and wanted to say goodbye. Each and every one of you meant so much to me, and have made the palace feel like my home. Anthony, I'll miss the way you obsessively tended to your precious garden, and always managed to make me smile. Anne, I'll miss the time we spent baking together... You've become like a mother to me. Trinity, Fran, and Alice, I've never had truer friends than the three of you, and I'll miss you all dearly. Samuel, you were always there for me, offering me advice, a smile, or a stupid joke that only you could understand, and I'll miss that. And Dot and Darwin, you're both the sweetest children I've ever met, and just know, that you have an entire future ahead of you, one where you can do anything you want. All of you were like my family, and I am truly sorry that I now must leave you. I love you all dearly, goodbye.

Sincerely, Rosalie Alcott

One Year Later

A smile curled at the corners of my lips, as the ship docked at the harbour. It had been nearly a year since I'd been in France, and I'd missed it. That's not to say America was bad. It was exhilarating to finally be on the battlefield again, fighting for the revolution. And we'd won! I breathed in the salty air, as I stepped off the ship, and onto the dock.

"Attendez mois!" Lafayette shouted from behind me, toting several bags, the contents of which I could only guess.

"Well hurry up, then." I laughed, as he fell into step beside me.

"Where are you headed now?" he asked.

"Out of the harbour."

"No, I mean in life. What will you do now that the war is won?" he persisted.

"I'm not sure. I think I'll pay a visit to my hometown." I said, causing his brows to raise.

"I thought you were an orphan?"

"I had a home, once. I've been wishing to see it as of late." I answered, and it was the truth.

I hadn't been able to visit after I'd returned from England, though I'd wished to. Now was the first time since that dream I'd had all those months ago, that I was actually able to go.

"And what do you plan to do?" I questioned him.

"America has won its freedom. Now it is France's turn, and I intend to fight for it." he stated firmly.

"Well, I'll be seeing you, mon ami." I paused at the side of a carriage, handing the coachman some coins, "Good luck."

"Aurevoir." he smiled, as I stepped into the carriage.

The ride back to my hometown took up the rest of the day, and I watched through the window as the sun sunk passed the horizon. At last, we arrived. Nostalgia flooded back to me, as my gaze trailed over the familiar cobblestone streets. The quaint little houses lining the roads. The children playing on porches. And then, I saw it. The bakery.

The last time I'd ever seen it, was the day Marie died. It looked different, older. I approached the building, pushing open the door. Inside, it looked the same as ever. The wooden countertops, the rustic tables.