Chapter Twenty-Two: Betrothed

.•° ✿ °•.

"I'm sorry, I must leave." I said to Lucien.

After a week spent debating over what I should do, I'd decided it was best to return to England.

"Rosalie, you've only just returned, you can't leave now, not again." he frowned.

"We won't lose touch, Lucien, I promise you that." I grasped his hand, looking into his eyes.

"Why must you leave?" he pled.

"I left my love, my family, my home behind in England. I don't want to lose it. Lucien, I promise you, we will see each other often, and I'll write to you." I said.

"I don't want to lose my sister again Rosalie, please."

"And I don't want to lose my brother. And I won't. But I also can't lose the love I left behind, or my friends."

There was a brief silence that followed, as I held Lucien's gaze, pleading with my eyes. After a few moments, I spoke again.

"So..?"

"Don't forget to write." he smiled.

I returned his smile, jumping up from the table and making my way to the spare room that had been designated as mine.

"Will you leave right away?" he asked.

"I'll remain in France for a few more days, there are some matters that need attending to, and I must inform my friends from the military that I will be gone, but I do plan to leave as soon as I can."

"If that's what you wish. Don't trouble yourself over the cost of the voyage, I'll fund it." he said.

"You - You will? Lucien, I can't even begin to thank you for the kindness you've shown me." I responded.

"Nonsense. It's what family does for each other. And just know, Rose, if you ever need a place to stay, we're here." he concluded, before adding jokingly, "Though I might start charging you, who knew one person could eat so much?!"

"Haha." I lightly punched his arm, before turning back down the hallway.

A few days later, I stood in front of a carriage, my bag already inside, and the coachman waiting for me to say goodbye.

"Well." Lucien began, as his wife held onto his arm, and Annette played by his feet with her doll.

"I suppose this is goodbye." I finished.

"I suppose it is." he nodded, his eyes watery.

"Lucien, I'll miss you. And thank you again, so much, for everything you've done for me."

"It wasn't a problem, Rose. I love you." he pulled me into a hug.

"I love you too." I returned his hug, and we stayed like that for a few moments, before I at last pulled away, turning to face his wife, "Thank you for all your help."

"We're family now, Rose, it's what we do." she hugged me too.

"Goodbye Annette," I embraced the young girl, before finally getting into the carriage.

I waved goodbye to Lucien and his family - To my family - As the carriage pulled away. I felt a pang in my heart as they grew further and further away, until I could no longer see them. I would miss them, but of course, keep in touch with them. But this was something I had to do, no matter how painful it was to leave Lucien and my family. My mind drifted back to the letter from Marie. I had to listen to what she'd told me. I nodded, the letter reassuring me that I was making the right decision. The treck was very long, travelling from France to England, and was made even longer as my heart hammered in my chest out of eagerness to see everyone at the palace. Samuel, Anne, Anthony, Dot, Darwin, Fran, Alice, Trinity, and him.