Chapter Fourteen: Attention

.•° ✿ °•.

What gave him the right to know of my past? Was he truly expecting that I would give it to him after he'd so carelessly squandered it last time? I was not at fault, and yet he ignored me, avoided me, scowled at me whenever we met each other's gaze. I breathed in a shaky breath as I leaned against the brick wall of the castle, watching Darwin and Dot as they played in the gardens. I laughed in spite of myself as Dot placed an extravagant flower crown on her brother's head, and one on hers. Anothony would be furious when he saw that they'd picked the flowers, and I'd probably take the heat, because he, like everyone else in the castle, had a soft spot for the twins.

"Rosie!" Dot beckoned me over, placing a flower crown on my head as I took a seat beside them.

"Thank you, its lovely." I said, offering her a smile.

"Why don't you smile anymore Rosie?" Darwin asked.

"What do you mean? I just did." I replied, raising a brow.

"That smile was disingenuous." Dot said, struggling with the large word.

"Ooh, fancy word Dot, where'd you learn that?" I asked.

"Trinity. And no, don't change the subject." Dot folded her arms glaring at me accusingly.

"Well, I don't know what you want to hear, I smile just as much as I ever have." I answered.

"That's not true and you know it." Anthony's voice sounded behind me, and our heads whipped around to face him.

"Anthony!" Dot jumped for joy, placing a flower crown on his head after pulling him down beside us.

"She and the King aren't talking, that's why she's sad." Anthony explained.

"That's not why," I began, elbowing Anthony in the gut, "In fact, there isn't a reason at all, because I'm not sad."

"Are they best friends? Is that why?" Darwin persisted, ignoring my statement entirely.

"Oh, no, they love each other," he smirked.

"Ohhh." the twins said in unison.

"That's not true." I corrected him, a light blush creeping up into my face.

"Are you going to marry the King, Rosie?" Dot jumped up.

"And have a son for me to play with?!" Darwin mirrored his sister's excitement.

"A son!? No! I'm not in love with the King and we most certainly will not be having children. Ever." I said, my face now cherry red as Anthony laughed, and the twins jumped for joy.

"No, Rosie, have a daughter!" Dot grabbed my arm.

"No, a son!"

"Daughter!"

"Son!"

"Daughter!"

The twins went on an on, running about the garden, and I shot Anthony an accusing glare, to which he responded with a smile.

"God, I hope you're satisfied." I said, trying to keep a stern expression but failing.

"Oh, I am. By this evening the entire castle will have heard this." he laughed.

"Joy." I rolled my eyes, "You know, its only a matter of time before I find out the girl you fancy. And then you'll regret everything."

"Yeah..." he sighed exasperatingly.

"What is it?" I frowned.

"It's just that I..." he paused for a moment, "Rose, can I tell you something in confidence?"