Chapter Eight: Your Fault

.•° ✿ °•.

I was glad for the distraction, it took my mind off of everything that had happened that past day. I pushed all of the thoughts about the King aside, focusing on the baking. However, I found that again and again, my mind kept drifting back to them. I shook my head, opting to make conversation with Anne.

"So, how long have you worked at the palace?" I questioned.

"Since before George became King." she laughed.

"Really? So you knew him as a child?" my lips curled into a smile.

"Indeed. He was quite the adventurous one, always getting into trouble around the palace." she reminisced.

"Truly? He doesn't strike me as the type..."

"He changed, as per his parents' request, after becoming King." her smile faltered.

"And the two of you, you're close, yes?"

"A long time ago, we were. But as I said, his parents gave him ideals that they saw as proper for a ruler, namely not to associate himself with the help. And he abided. He still has a soft side to him, though, he allowed for my children to live in the palace, and treats his servants fairly."

"I wouldn't have guessed that the King had a soft side at any time in his life." I rolled my eyes.

"Really? You're the one he shows it to most, Miss Alcott." she said, pausing from her task, and turning to face me.

"What? That isn't at all true!" I replied, my brows furrowing.

"But it is. The way he looks at you, talks to you, and treats you. We've never seen anything like it before."

"He enlisted me as a mistress to toy with me when he got too bored with the war, how is that benefiting anyone other than himself?"

"Well I think, and this is only a guess, that he wanted you in the palace to protect you. If only you saw how hard he tried to track down Christain after what had happened. He spent months trying to find him, to no avail. He ordered that the guards watch you closely while he wasn't with you, and he stayed up night after night searching, plagued with a fear that Christain might return and harm you. After some time, he gave up, and opted to bring you to the palace, where he knew you would be safe." she explained.

"A-Are you certain?"

"Not entirely, but fairly." she responded, returning to her task.

I took in a deep breath, thinking over this new information. Was it true? Did the King take me to the castle to keep me safe, or to toy with me? As I continued on with the baking, I tried fruitlessly to differentiate truth from falsity. I supposed I would have to ask the King himself, if I was to get a real answer. As noon bled into evening, even baking couldn't distract me from what Anne had said. Had the King truly moved me to the palace to protect me? But, why? He hardly knew me, and we never treated each other civilly. And it wasn't as though he cared for me, as he'd said time and time again, he thought of me as a toy, a simple pass time that could be easily replaced. The truth was, Anne had probably fabricated that story, she wanted so badly to believe that the King, whom she'd known for so long, was becoming kinder. He wasn't, and though Anne might not have been able to see that, I could.

Satisfied with my conclusion, I continued baking, pushing thoughts of the King out of my mind. After a few more hours, Anne and I decided that we would take a break, and finish the baking the next day. After she finished thanking me profusely, we parted ways. Making my way back to my chambers, I sighed, realizing that I hadn't attempted to escape that day, as I had each day prior. As I turned the corner, I nearly collided with someone I hadn't wanted to see, the King. He raised an eyebrow, looking me up and down, noting the flour dusting my face and clothes.