Chapter Thirty-One: Death Doesn't Discriminate

.•° ✿ °•.

"Guy." Darwin smiled, and I knew the effort pained him.

"Guy? Of all the names you could choose, you think we should name the cat Guy?" I laughed, placing a cool cloth on his forehead as he let out a cough.

"I-I think it's cute." he struggled to speak between deep breaths of air, "I h-had a frog named Guy once."

"A frog?"

"I found him in the garden. He was getting attacked by a bird. But Guy was a tough frog. He lost a leg but I still saved him. He was my best friend. Even better than Dot. But don't tell her."

"What happened to him?" I inquired.

"He got ran over by that stupid Princes Clara's carriage."

"Shame I never met him." I smiled.

"Yeah, he'd have liked you. Anyways, I think its a good name. Because it means you're strong." he stated.

"It's perfect." I stood up, making my way to the table to get the cup of tea that Anne had left Darwin.

"Rosie?" he whispered from his bed.

"Yeah?" I turned back.

"Am I... Am I going to die?" my heart sunk as he asked it.

"I don't know what to tell you..." and it was true, I couldn't say no, and I very well couldn't say yes, "Other than that I'm going to do everything I possibly can to make sure you don't."

"But it's almost been a week," he paused to release a cough, "How much longer will I be this way?"

"Tiring of my company already?" I teased him.

"No!" he shook his head, "I just want to get out of bed. I want to play again. I want to ride my horsey again."

"You will as soon as you get better." I assured him.

"But what if I don't?" he asked, but I couldn't answer.

After all, that was the question that had haunted the minds of everyone at the palace. What if the twins didn't get better? I glanced over at Dot, who'd at last managed to fall asleep, before standing up.

"I'm stepping out for a moment Darwin. Only a moment." I said, making my way to the door.

"Rosie?" I turned to face him.

"Yes Darwin?" I said as my chest tightened, and tears threatened to spill.

"I love you." he said softly, "Just thought I should say it, you know in case..."

"I love you too. So much." I answered, before turning back to the door.

As soon as I'd shut the door, I sunk to the floor, as the tears started to pour out. I covered my mouth, effectively silencing my sobs. Minutes inched by as I cried a seemingly endless amount of tears. Suddenly, there was a hand on my shoulder, and I looked up to see Anne. She lowered herself to the ground beside me, taking my hand and giving it a sympathetic but weak squeeze. Ever since the twins had fallen ill last week, Anne and I had spent every waking moment tending to them, hoping beyond hope that our help might make the difference between life and death.

"It's ironic, really..." Anne said, breaking the silence.

"What is?" I wiped the tears from my eyes.

"That my two kids - The only family I have left - Would be taken by the same disease that took their father so long ago." she shook her head.

"Their father?" I asked.