Chapter Twenty-Three: Motives

.•° ✿ °•.

"Excuse me?" I croaked, looking back at my friends, who all nodded solemnly, confirming what she'd said.

"We're engaged. To be married." Clara repeated, a smug smile curling her lips.

"You - You're - I have to go." I felt the tears burning my eyes, as I fled the ballroom.

What had I been thinking? That the King would wait an entire year for me to return, and we'd go on happily as though nothing had changed? He'd likely thought I would never come back, that I'd left him forever. That I didn't love him. And who could blame him? I'd never told him how I truly felt. And what was worse, with Clara being here, I would have to leave. I couldn't live in the castle if the King had a wife. The truth stung me, and I felt nauseous. I would have to leave. Again. Marie... Maybe if I'd read your letter sooner, things wouldn't have ended like this.

As I left the palace, I was met with a clear blue sky, slowly fading into purple. I took in a shaky breath, as I trudged along the city streets, and at length, found myself inside a tavern, as the sun finally dipped out of sight. If I'd learned anything at all from the men I'd fought with, it was that alcohol was your best friend in a time like this one. Cheery music played on the other end of the room, and men chatted merrily amongst themselves. I wearily surveyed the people in the bar, as the alcohol began to affect me, sending a slight buzz through my body.

I frowned, as a cloaked man entered through the tavern, his hood drawn over his head. He approached another man, similarly cloaked, causing my frown to deepen. They were undoubtedly up to something. I cautiously neared the two men, taking a seat at a nearby table, and straining my ears to hear their conversation.

"Baron." one man nodded to the other, causing him to scoff.

"Well, what's the use in wearing a cloak, if you insist on shouting my name out for all to hear?" he spat, taking off his hood to reveal that he was, in fact, Baron Collins.

"Do you have the money I am owed?" the other man, still hooded, asked.

"I have some of the money you are owed." the Baron said, tossing a bag of coins across the table, "You'll receive the rest when the deed is done."

"And for my partner?" he demanded.

"You can split what I've given you."

"This is ridiculous! We were promised ten times this amount each!" the man shouted, slamming a hand on the table.

"Lower your voice, you fool." the Baron quieted him.

"Look, we're likely the only two you'll find who are willing to do what you're asking for." his voice was now a hoarse whisper, "No one wants the King dead more than Jerome and I."

My eyes widened as he said this. What was going on between these two? Were they plotting to kill the King? And why would the Baron be in on it? He'd gotten what he wanted, his daughter was to marry the King. Then it dawned on me. He would wait for the wedding to be over, Clara would be Queen, and then he would kill the King, leaving the Collins to rule. My heart rate accelerated. I had to warn the King before it was too late.

"Fine," the Baron pulled out a handful of coins, tossing them to the other man, "Will this satisfy you?"

"It will do for now. Have you chosen when we will do it?" he asked.

"At the end of this week, after the wedding at the ball." the Baron said, "It's the perfect time for an assassin to sneak in of their own accord."

"And so, you are blameless. But if Jerome and I are caught..?" he trailed off.