Chapter Nine: A Winter's Ball

.•° ✿ °•.

The next two days passed by in a haze, and the castle was a mess of servants rushing about, meticulously preparing for the ball. Anthony stayed at work decorating the hall with lovely floral arrangments, likely missing gardening, as he no longer was able to what with winter coating the ground in a thick blanket of snow. Anne and I continued baking, and completed it just in time. When the night of the ball came, the castle was as lavish as ever before, the servants dressed formally as guests slowly poured in.

"Rosalie!" a voice from behind me called, as I watched the ball transpire before me.

"Trinity?" I smiled, as the blonde girl made her way over to me.

"Why aren't you ready? I couldn't find you anywhere, the King has ordered us to get you ready!" she shouted, grabbing me by the arm, and dragging me down the hall.

"I'm sure this dress will do fine." I said, trying to free myself from her grasp.

"Nonsense. A casual dress coated in flour will not due for a royal ball!" she answered, pushing me into my room, where Fran and Alice stood, waiting.

"I thought I'd made it clear that I could do this on my own, I'm not a child in need of help, I am grown." I scoffed, as they began to remove my dress, and take my hair out of its bun.

"The King has ordered us to, Rosalie." Alice said apologetically.

"What he doesn't know won't hurt him."

"And what he finds out might cost us our jobs." Fran joked, before poking Alice's cheek "Or our heads,"

"Fran, leave her alone." Trinity ordered, smacking her upside the head.

"Twas only a joke." she laughed.

Suddenly, a sharp rap at the door pulled the girls out of their conversation.

"Is she almost ready girls?" the King's voice came from beyond the door.

"Terribly sorry your majesty, we only just found her, we'll work quickly." Trinity called.

"I never imagined the King might have enough respect to knock before entering a room." I clicked my tongue.

"Hush, Rosalie, he might hear you." Alice placed a hand over my mouth.

"My dear however you might perceive me, I do have enough manners not to barge into a lady's room while she is getting dressed." the King said from outside the door.

"You could've fooled me." I laughed.

"Rosalie! Have you no sense? You cannot speak to royalty in such a manner!" Trinity said, her eyes widened.

"I'll speak to him in whatever manner I see fit." I answered.

"It's not as though he would do anything to you for it," Fran began, before looking to the other maids, "The King is particularly fond of Rosalie, I trust that no matter what she says, she could not anger him."

"Nonetheless, I only wish I had the nerve to speak to royals so. The ones he invites to the ball can be so... So trying." Alice said, her brow furrowed.

"And it is well that you don't Alice, else they might have your head for it." the King joked, "I'll be seeing you at the ball, my Rose."

"It is indeed strange..." Trinity trailed off.

"What is?"

"The King's spirits have been high these past months thanks to you. None of us servants have ever seen him so before." she finished, tying me into a corset.