Chapter Twenty-Four: Shot

.•° ✿ °•.

The week had passed by slowly, but no matter how much time I had to think, I could not formulate even the beginnings of a plan. My mind was flooded with thoughts of the King, my friends at the palace, what would happen to them if I didn't pull through. And, as I feared, the day came. The sun rose into the sky, and Christain and Jerome rose with it. I was still tied to the same post, the rope cutting into my skin. I shot Christain a death glare as he happily strode over to me, waving my pocket knife at a dangerously close distance to my face.

"Today is the day, Rosalie." he mused.

"You won't get away with this." I spat.

"Oh, but I will. See-" Christain's voice was cut off at the sound of footsteps rushing down the stairs.

"Ah, I've caught you before you could leave." the Baron said once he reached the basement.

"Baron Collins? What is this?" Jerome asked, stepping into the light.

"I must inform you that I no longer wish to go through with the plan." he stated, causing Jermome and Christain to tense, "Not yet."

"What do you mean not yet? How long will we wait? A week? Another month?" Jermome demanded, his blood boiling.

"No, a few years at best."

"A few years? You've got to be joking!" Christain shouted, "Thanks to the King's obsession with Rosalie Alcott, I was outlawed. In my own home! I was about to get my life back, you can't have me wait another few years!"

"It's not my fault you chose to disobey the King. Besides, you'll be paid handsomely, should you wait." the Baron interjected.

"We don't give a shit about the money! We want the King to pay for taking our lives away!" Jerome seethed.

"I'm sorry but I've made my decision. Killing the King so close to the wedding is unwise. I'd be a prime suspect." the Baron turned back to the stairs, "Thank you for your time, gentlemen."

"You'll pay! You bastard! You'll pay for this!" Christain screamed after him.

The sound of the door slamming shut rang out, and the two of them sat in silence for a few moments.

"What will we do now?" Jerome asked, having calmed down.

"We make the Baron pay. We make the King pay. We make all those bastards pay." Christain answered, placing the knife on the table, and picking up a pistol.

"What are you doing?" Jerome and I questioned in unison.

"I'm going to crash a wedding." he laughed, and soon enough, Jerome joined in.

"You'll shoot him as the broad is walking down the aisle." Jerome guessed.

"And take away everything the Baron worked for. Right before his very eyes." Christain finished, grabbing his cloak, before turning to his accomplice, "I hate to ask this of you, my friend, but would you stay with Rosalie?"

"So long as the King is dead, I don't care if I'm there to witness it. I'll stay with the wench, and kill her when you give me leave." Jerome nodded, waving his friend goodbye and bidding him good luck.

The sound of the door slamming shut rang out again, filling the basement with a dull echo, before leaving Jerome and I in silence.

"Now, I don't hate you like Christain hates you." Jerome began, "But I won't hesitate to hurt you if you don't cooperate."

I shot him a death glare as he entered another room, leaving me to my thoughts. If I was to save the King, I would have to do it now. I surveyed the area for what felt like the hundredth time since I was captured, to find it still void of anything useful. But then, a glinting object caught my eye. The knife on the table, only a few feet away from me. I laid down on my back, kicking my feet up at the table, knocking it over. The knife fell with it, rolling across the floor and landing beside my face.

"What the hell was that?" Jerome shouted as I cut myself free.

Moments later, he was in the room, shocked to find me on my feet, holding the knife threateningly.

"Put the knife down." Jerome warned.

"I'm the one with a weapon, Jerome. I give orders." I retorted.

Suddenly, he sprang forwards, punching me in the gut, a sending me barreling into the wall. The knife clattered to the ground, as I regained composure. I lunged for the knife, but he kicked it out of the way before I could reach it. I ducked out of his reach as he attempted to punch me again. Then, with all the force I could muster, I elbowed him in the jaw, sending him sprawling backwards. Once he was on the ground I kicked him again and again, until I was sure he wouldn't get up again. Then a few more times for good measure.

Looking around, I found another coil of rope in a drawer, and I bound Jerome's wrists, tying him to the post. Then, without hesitation, I bolted up the stairs, sprinted through the city streets, and at last, arrived at the palace, out of breath, but determined to continue. I had to save him. I entered through the gates, allowed in once again by the guards. I saw servants rushing about, and I pulled one aside.

"When is the wedding?" I asked hurriedly.

"Right now." they looked panicked.

"Where? Tell me where!" I shouted, my stomach in knots.

"In the gardens. I must be going, apologies." the servant answered, before hurrying away.

My heart rate accelerated. Was Clara walking down the aisle right now? I had to make haste. I ran to the gardens with as much speed as I could manage, worrying that my worst fears had been realized. And then, I saw him. He was standing at the altar, looking incredibly miserable as his bride strode down the aisle. I was running out of time. I had to save him. I had to tell him how I felt, and if I had to give up my life to do it, then I would.

I pumped my legs harder, faster, I had to make it. The guests turned their heads as I made my way to the King, coming to a stop in front of him, and looking around for Christain.

"R-Rosalie?" the King stuttered, looking baffled, "What are you-"

Before he could finish, a single gunshot rang out, and without a second thought, I pushed the King out of the way. And then, all I could feel was pain. Pain worse than any I'd felt at war, as a prisoner, ever. I looked down, to see a bloodstain quickly growing larger on my stomach. I faltered, falling to the ground. Gasps echoed amongst the guest, as the King's mouth fell agape. I looked over to him as he fell to his knees, looking down at me.

Panicked voices rang out, and guests began to stand, rushing out of the venue as guards swept the area for the shooter. Amid all the chaos, however, my mind was focused on only one thing. Him.

"Rosalie - Rose, what did you... What happened?" he grasped my hand, a tear spilling out of the corner of his eye.

"I-I-" I struggled to speak choking on my words as I felt my consciousness slowly fading away, "I'm so-so s-sorry. I-I love you. So m-much."

I managed those final words before my vision at last went black, and all I could see, was darkness.

°•. ✿ .•°