Chapter Eighteen: The Lady and The Baron

.•° ✿ °•.

Things at the castle had really begun to look up. The King and I were getting along, Samuel was back, and the twins antics were as mischievous as ever. I smiled as I walked along the castle wall, through the blossoming garden one afternoon. This place had begun to feel like a home, rather than a prison, and for the first time in a long while, I felt happy. I started at the sound of the bell tolling. Was I forever condemned to be late to each and every one of my piano lessons with the King?

I raced my way to the study, finding it to be vacant. Where was he? I sat down at the piano, practicing the piece we'd been working on earlier. A few minutes passed, and at last, the King entered the study, sighing in frustration.

"Do not say a word." the King said flatly, seating himself beside me.

"About how I have for once arrived on time, while you, sir, were late?" I teased.

"I was dealing with war-related matters." he tiredly rubbed his temples, and I notice that he looked pale, with faint dark circles under his eyes.

"Did you sleep at all this past week?" I cupped his face, turning it to face me as I examined it more closely, "Are you ill?"

"My my, I didn't realize you cared so deeply for my wellbeing."

"I-I don't. I was just..." I released him, a blush seeping into my cheeks as I trailed off, unsure of what I was doing, "What are these war matters you've been so ardently dealing with, then?"

"I'm not stupid, dear, I know that was a change of subject. But I will oblige to answer since you seem greatly uncomfortable right now," he smirked, before releasing a deep sigh, "I'm running out of soldiers to send overseas. We've got the upper hand as it is, but that could change in a moment. I'm in dire need of assistance."

"And you haven't considered, perhaps, asking one of your own allies for aid? Or perhaps making a deal with another country?" I suggested.

"I have. In fact, I've just come from a meeting with an official from Denmark. Let's just say it did not go well." he said exasperatingly, "Anyways, let us proceed with this."

And we did. I found it considerably easier to play now that I'd been practicing for such a long extent of time. We stayed for a little while over a half an hour, before the door to the study burst open. Dot huffed, entirely out of breath at the study's entrance.

"Hello - huff - Mister King - huff - I was told-"

"Dot, catch your breath first." I instructed her, and she nodded her head, obeying.

"Okay." she nodded her head after a moment, "There is a fancy lady and man here to see you in the throne room."

"And I'm assuming it was Darwin's job to tell the King that, but you challenged him to a race to see who could find him first?" I guessed, knowing the children's nature.

"Yes, I did. But Darwin is obtuse, he forgot about your piano lessons." Dot nodded matter-of-factly, and as if on cue, Darwin burst through the doors, exasperated.

"Mister-" he groaned when he saw that Dot had beat him to the task.

"Better luck next time, I suppose." I laughed, as Darwin moped.

"Would you come along, Rose?" the King asked, suddenly.

"Why? Because I make things more entertaining?" I scoffed.

"No, don't flatter yourself, darling. I fear that if I have to sit through one more meeting today, I shall fall asleep. I need you there to retain information when I doze off." he chuckled, pulling me up from my seat.