Chapter Thirty-Two: Quiet

.•° ✿ °•.

"They say time heals all wounds. But as time passes, those wounds, they get worse as realization sinks in. Realization that the world will never be the same." I looked out at all the faces gathered in the small chapel, as stray sobs rang out, "Darwin and Anne were my friends. My family. Each day since I'd - Since we'd lost them, I couldn't stop myself from asking why. Why had I lived, and survived the same illness that took their lives? But I've come to realize that death doesn't discriminate between the sinners and the saints. It takes, and it takes, and it takes, and there's not a thing we can do to stop it."

I took in a deep breath, glancing between my friends, whose melancholic faces stared up from the frontmost rows. Sam, Trinity, Alice, Fran, Anthony, George... And Dot. My gaze settled on her before I continued.

"I can't be sure of anything anymore except this; although time does not heal wounds, it goes on. Because time doesn't have time for the struggles, or the losses you go through. And it's up to you to push through those hardships, no matter how daunting the task may prove. Because as I see it, you can either move on, or stay in the same miserable lull for the rest of your days. And is that what Anne and Darwin would've wanted for us? For their friends and family? Of course not. Though we won't ever see them again during our time on this earth, we can take heart in knowing that they will watch over us, and guide us through life, just as we will do for each other. Anne once said that being there, for each other, is the most that a family can offer one another." I paused for a moment, smiling, "Her wise words still hold truth, even now that she's gone. Just remember that if only we stay strong, and support one another; we can move past anything."

I looked around at the faces, etched with a new hope after my speech. Some even smiled and nodded as I returned to my seat. It felt wonderful to have instilled them with some happiness after the long two weeks of grief. I took up George's hand, and he held mine close as the service came to a conclusion. As guest converged and quietly conversed amongst themselves, I pulled George aside, noticing that the sadness emanating off of the people in attendance was beginning to overwhelm him. I guided him to the gardens, at lat stopping and turning to face him once we were a long distance from the funeral.

"How are you holding up?" I took both his hands in mine.

"Rose," he shot me a pitifully sad smile, "I'm hardly holding up."

"We'll get through this, George." I assured him.

"How can you say that after Marie? Fredrick?" he shook his head.

"George... We'll never forget them, and I don't think we'll ever stop regretting what happened. But I can wholeheartedly say that you've helped me to manage it. You've helped me through it, as we will help each other through this."

"I don't think there is any getting through this Rose. Darwin... He was just a boy. Just a sweet, innocent young boy. And Anne-" his voice cracked, "She was like my mother, always there for me when I needed her... And even when I  didn't need her, she was always there. And I pushed her away. If I could take back anything it would be that. All those years... Why did I push her away?" he lamented, turning away from me as a tear escaped from the corner of his eye.

I completely sympathized with him, I'd gone through almost the exact ordeal as a child. And yet, I did not know what to say to comfort him. What would I have wanted someone to say? Nothing. There wasn't anything anyone could say that would make it better... Make it go away. And so, that's what had to be said.

"George. Nothing I can say can change what happened. Nothing I can do can get you through it. That's up to you. You have to make the choice to keep pushing - To keep fighting. Just remember that no matter what you choose to do, I'll always be here to support you." I hugged him from behind as his head lolled.