Chapter Thirty: Blue

.•° ✿ °•.

Dear Lucien,

I really can't think of any way to inform you of my affairs; other than just stating them bluntly. I'm engaged. And no, that isn't all. Before you discover to whom I am engaged, I want you to remain open-minded, and to remember to control your breathing. Nearly a week ago to this day, I became engaged to King George III. Yes, you read that correctly, I'm to marry the King of Great Britain. I know, this news is not exactly happy for you, what with the current war between Britain and France, but please, trust me when I say that he is a good man and that I love him. The story of our relationship is indeed a long and complicated one and I promise to tell you everything the next time we meet, which I hope will be my wedding. The prospect of entering Britain and meeting the King himself, I know, does not seem desirable to you, and if you refuse to attend my wedding for that reason, I understand, but just know, that it would bring me great joy if you chose to come. Thank you, and all the love to you and your family.

Sincerely, Rosalie Alcott.

I signed my name, quickly re-reading over the letter, before sealing it in an envelope and placing it on the desk, to be mailed in the morning. I leaned back in my chair, stretching as my tired eyes threatened to close.

"Rose come to bed." George instructed, coming out from behind the folding screen, his white buttoned shirt hanging open.

"You know, the purpose of the folding screen is to get fully dressed, and then come out." I scoffed, turning back to the list of names to whom I had to inform of the wedding.

"Why? Does this bother you?" suddenly, he was standing directly behind me, one hand on the back of my chair, the other on the desk. His lips brushed against my ear, causing chills to run down my spine.

"N-No. Now please, just leave me to these letters. I'll come to bed in a moment." I shrunk away from him.

"I've known you more than two years, my Rose, and yet you are still ever the defiant woman." he smiled, pulling my chair out from the desk, and swinging it around to face him.

He bent down, placing his hands on either side of the back of the chair, and gazing at me lustfully. I bit my lip, feeling heat rise to my face as he leaned closer, until his lips at last touched my neck, softly, but still strongly enough to send a rush of adrenaline through my whole body. After a moment, he pulled away, smirking.

"And I can see that you are still just as easily flustered as the moment we first met." he laughed, pulling me out of the chair, and guiding me by the small of my back towards the bed.

"Well what am I to do when you're acting so.. Like that?" I argued as he whirled me around, gently pushing me onto the bed, before laying on top of me and pinning both my wrists to the bed.

"Now you'll listen to me, won't you?" he whispered.

"I-I..." I was instantly silenced as his lips met mine, though only for a short while.

He smiled at me after our lips had parted, before rolling onto the other side of the bed, and drawing me close, and we both fell asleep in each other's warm embrace.

The next morning came quickly and I was woken to the sound of rain pattering as it rolled down the windows and roof. I looked up at George who was still sound asleep. I smiled, getting up and opting to leave him asleep. After all, what with the war going on, he hardly had any time to spare anymore, even for sleep. Glancing out the window, I saw that it was a gray and rainy day, the sun was blocked out behind the thick clouds that hung over the sky like an ominous shadow. I frowned, as my gaze landed on Anthony, who was standing amidst the rain in the middle of the garden.

Quickly, I made my way down the stairs and to the door leading outside, where I saw Anthony crouched in the grass, looking at something in the distance. I cleared my throat, causing him to glance my way, he waved before turning back. I followed his gaze to find a black cat, hiding in a bush, its coat drenched, and its icy blue eyes glowing. It stepped out of the bush, startled by the heavy rain before running to Anthony, who scooped it up and carried it inside, immediately wrapping it in a towel.

"I saw this guy running around the bushes this morning. I couldn't just leave him outside in the rain." Anthony smiled, drying the cat's fur before hugging it close to him.

"Do you intend to keep him?" I asked, scratching the cat's ear.

"If the King allows for it." he said.

"And what shall you call it?"

"I suppose the twins may like to name it."

"They'll love him. Darwin especially." I smiled, knowing how the boy loved animals.

"Well, I'm going to make sure the poor guy is alright first, bring him by a fire to warm up." Anthony waved goodbye, before hurrying into another room.

Unsure of what to do, I took to roaming the halls, hoping to find someone. To my disappointment, no one seemed to be around. Suddenly, the sound of the large doors in the entrance hallway filled the castle, and I strode over to them, curious at who'd arrived. I frowned, confused upon seeing the doctor, who'd cared for me when I'd been shot. I approached him, and he turned to me with a concerned look on his face.

"What's the matter? Why have you come?" I questioned.

As soon as the words had escaped my mouth, Anne burst through the doors, a look of panic plastered across her face.

"Finally, you've come." she said shakily.

She wrung her hands as she struggled to breath, taking the doctors arm and pulling him into the hallway. Curious about what was going on, I followed, a sinking feeling growing in the pit of my stomach as we approached the twin's room. The door creaked open, to reveal Dot and Darwin, both lying in bed, their faces a sickly pale, and coated in sweat. Darwin let out a violent cough as the doctor began to examine him.

I joined Anne by the door, anxious to hear what the diagnostic was. After examining both Dot and Darwin, the doctor turned to us, his face solemn.

"W-What is it? They're going to be fine, right?" Anne asked nervously, glancing between her sickly children and the doctor.

A heavy silence fell over the room, as the doctor stood, not giving an answer, before steadily making his way to the door. Then, he stopped.

"I'm so sorry." he said softly, "There's nothing I can do. They'll have to wait it out."

"What is it, doctor?! What's wrong with my children?" Anne raised her voice, clutching my hands as a sickly feeling rose into my stomach.

Dot released a long, and strenuous cough, before the doctor answered, "It's diphtheria. I'm so sorry." and like that, he was gone.

"Putrid throat." I breathed out, remembering what havoc that illness had wreaked in the tight quarters of the army camps.

"N-No..." Anne's knees buckled and she sunk to the floor, "No!"

I stood with my legs frozen to the ground, my eyes as wide as saucers as I stared into oblivion. Putrid throat... Diphtheria. One of the most deadly diseases a person could contract. I saw my fair share of deaths during the war because of it. After a few moments, the door burst open, to reveal an alarmed George. He immediately approached, wrapping me in a warm embrace.

"What is it? I heard a scream. What's wrong?" he asked, his voice soft but riddled with panic.

"Th-The twins - It's putrid throat." I choked as the tears began to spill out.

I buried my face in George's chest as he clutched me tighter. I knew the news had affected him, though he wouldn't show it.

"Don't lose hope. They're going to survive this." George said firmly, though he undoubtedly felt unsure about it.

And I - I didn't believe him at all. After all, how could I? It was as though my life was a cruel game for God, like he took pleasure in taking away everyone I loved, everyone I cared for. I needed an answer. Why? Why couldn't I love another human being without losing them?

°•. ✿ .•°