Chapter 32

As soon as Mactum heard of the incident that had occurred, he rushed his way through to meet the eyes of the man that he may or may not have trust with the king’s life. He did not believe it himself but the incident was too strange and sudden to be false.

Sunni is a friend. Although they never really have much conversation and they always somehow doubt each other in silence, Sunni is still the only person he trusts to be close to the king. Sunni loves the king; Mactum can see it in the man eyes. They were a walking contradiction of two people falling in love.

What went wrong, he wondered.

Mactum knocked on Sunni’s door before walking in. Stepping inside, Mactum comes to face with Sunni sitting on a table near the fire with a cup in his hands. His eyes were teary, his nose red and looking like the world have ended for him.

Sunni did not bother to wipe away his tears or say anything when Mactum walked in. He turns towards the fire place again and stared into his own thought.

Mactum reluctant to start his words for the man seems to be in a mindless state. He then clears his throat.

“I needed to speak with you.” Mactum said.

Sunni didn’t say anything back, only staring into the fire.

Mactum close the door behind him and walk forwards to sit on the nearby chair.

“On what matters?” Sunni speak.

“I’ve heard of what happened. I refuse to believe that it is the truth.”

“It’s a lie then.”

“I wouldn’t imagine it would that simple. Rumours started because someone created it. For all the years you have been inside this wall, never have I heard anything that regards you within the story, not even the clean one.”

“You always know how to twist your words around. You amazed me sometimes.”

“Don’t change the subject. I needed to hear from you about the truth.”

Sunni alas wipe his face and took a sip of his drink. “You were the one who escorted Armand to execution right?”

“Yes but this has nothing to do with what we are discussing.”

Sunni stared Mactum in the eyes, expressionless. His eye speaks nothing and the only truth he was speaking was through his stares.

Mactum stared back, not intimidated by whatever it is that Sunni was trying to do.

“Are we having a staring competition? What is this?”

“I trust you Mactum. I trust that you are a better person than you let out to be.”

“I’m sorry that you did such thing.”

“Where is he?”

“Where is who?”

“Armand, where did you take him?”

Mactum breathe out a sigh and look elsewhere.

“I trust you.” Sunni said again.

“By the way you’re putting up this words, it seems that you have already know. Like me, you wish to seek the truth too. How did you know? Let me guess…it’s the little brother right? I told him to stay away.” 

Sunni look at Mactum like he has grown another head. It was almost impossible to have believed the words he was spatting. His hands almost worked on their own accordance to beat the man in front of him.