"Imagine If" T. Mathews

"...if life was a movie, I'd hit rewind; Imagine if I knew how to turn back time..."

[Imagine If by Gnash]

Two-Bit grumbled to himself as he walked to your house halfway across town. He could only hope none of his friends saw him looking like he did at the moment; hair cut shorter than usual and ungreased, his Mickey shirt and leather jacket replaced with a plain t-shirt and a nice(ish) hoodie. He didn't look like Two-Bit anymore, he looked like somebody Two-Bit would've beat up. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and kept his head down, honestly just hoping he'd be lucky enough to avoid his gang, Tim's gang, and any other greaser. He had no such luck.

"Hey! What do ya think you're doin' in our territory?" An all too familiar voice yelled. He just kept walking, hoping they'd leave him in peace. Again, no such luck. He didn't have time to react to the sound of footsteps catching up to him before someone gripped his shoulder. He was turned around and came face-to-face with Sodapop and Steve. "Hey! We were talkin' to-" Steve froze when he recognized him "holy crap, Two-Bit why do you look like some dumb Soc?" Sodapop looked his friend over, particularly messing with his short, ungreased hair.

Two-Bit nudged them both to put some space in between them "don't either of you tell a soul you saw me like this." He started walking off, not giving them much of a chance to question his sudden change in appearance. Sodapop called after him "what're you doin', Two?" He answered without stopping "I'm gettin' my girl back!" After that, he took off running; now he was just trying to get there without running into anyone else.

After thirty minutes of running through alleys, taking back streets, and hiding behind a few buildings, he eventually got to your house. His heart raced as he knocked on the door, catching his breath quickly. He let out a breath he didn't know he'd been holding when he heard you call out that you'd get it.  "Hi, is there something I can- oh my god," you couldn't hide your shock when you recognized the man on your front porch as Two-Bit. He'd done a complete 180 with his looks.

You stepped onto the porch and closed the door behind you "Keith, what're you doing here? What did you do to your hair and everything?" He looked down at you, with a look you'd never seen in his face "I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry I wanted to do stupid shit. I'm sorry I chose drinking over you. I'm sorry, I'm sorry I was such an ass." You looked away from his gaze as he spoke "Keith, please," He shook his head and took both of your hands "please, (y/n), just hear me out. If I could go back for just one night and see the future, I'd make it all alright."

He squeezed your hands softly, looking down at you "just imagine if I never messed up, or if I never told those lies, or if  I knew how to always get it right. Imagine if we never broke up." You sighed quietly and willed yourself to look up at him, into his grey eyes that were a pool of different emotions "Keith, I was just tryin' to keep you from gettin' yourself killed. I didn't care that you drank, I just didn't want you to wrap your car around a tree or something." He nodded "I know, and I shouldn't have reacted the way I did."

The two of you sat down on the swing on your front porch "so, you wanna tell me why you look like, well, not you?" He laughed softly and looked over his outfit before over at you "I thought maybe if I looked less like a greaser and more like a somewhat contributing member of society you'd take me back?" You frowned some upon his admission "Keith, you know I don't care about that. I loved you for you, it didn't matter whether you were a soc or a greaser. You made me laugh." You smiled some and ran your fingers through his soft, ungreased hair and looked at him "besides, I always loved playin' with your hair when it was greased and you always looked great in your leather jacket."

He laughed quietly and ran a hand through his shorter hair "man, I wish you'd've told me that before I let my mom cut it." You stood up and held your hand out for him "c'mon." He gave you a confused look before taking your hand and let you drag him inside the house to your bathroom. "Take a seat," you simply told him, motioning to the side of the bathtub while searching the cabinets.

"What're you doin'?" He asked curiously as he tried to look over your shoulder while you searched. "You'll see," you muttered while continuing to search. It took several minutes of searching to find the jar of hair grease he'd kept here "for emergencies". He grinned happily as you set the jar on the counter "you kept it?" You nodded and opened it, putting some in your hand "I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it, so, sit still."

He picked up a handheld mirror as he watched you put the grease in his hair, styling it the  way he always did "this is considerably harder since you have considerably less hair, you know that right?" He laughed happily and nodded "I know sweetheart, but I think this is as good as it'll look until it grows back out." You wiped the grease off of your hand and put the jar back away, wrapping your arms around his neck loosely "I missed you, Two-Bit." He took one of your hands and softly kissed your knuckles before looking back at you "I missed you too, dollface." He smiled hopefully at you "does this mean I can get another chance?" You sent him a warm smile and nodded "yeah Keith, it sure does."