"Come Hang Out" D. Curtis

"...You're working so damn hard you forgot what you like..."

[Come Hang Out by AJR]

"We think you should do it, Dar," Sodapop said simply, briefly looking up from his and Steve's card game. Darry narrowed his eyes at his younger brother "who's 'we'?" Ponyboy spoke up without looking away from his book "everyone." The rest of the guys mumbled their agreements, not stopping any of their activities. After letting out an overexaggerated exhale, Darry looked down at the hastily written time and date you'd given him a few days prior when you ran into each other at the grocery store, literally.

Darry changed into a nicer flannel over one of his black shirts and jeans that weren't dirty. He came back downstairs after pulling his boots on and checked the clock. He hadn't been to a party in several years but when he ran into you, you ignited his long ignored wild(ish) side. You did it when you were in school together and even now, two years later you had the same effect on him.

Dallas tossed him his wallet with a mischievous smirk on his face "what'd you do, Dal?" He shared a look with Two-Bit before taking a swig of his beer and talking "we put condoms in it, in case, y'know." Darry looked at the two before rolling his eyes and putting his wallet in his back pocket. He wasn't gonna question why they thought he needed more than one. Sodapop called him before he went outside "who's in charge?" He looked at each of them, only thinking of how much damage any of them would do "Mrs. White next door." He heard them collectively groan before the door shut behind him.

Darry hesitantly drove to Buck's. Going to a party felt completely foreign to him, he'd gone to a few in high school but that felt like a hundred years ago. He could see the party was already in full swing when he got there. After briefly pondering going back home, he got out and went inside after locking the truck doors.

The smell of alcohol and stale cigarette smoke along with the pounding music clouded his senses. It didn't take long for him to find you in the crowd of people drunkenly dancing. He felt his cheeks slightly heat up as he took a moment to watch you dance and just generally let loose. Even with your own responsibilities, you were still that free spirit you were in school, the same free spirit he fell in love with.

It took a few minutes for him to mentally psych himself up enough to go over to you, but he did. You looked up at him with gorgeous (e/c) doe eyes and hugged him tightly. The hug initially took him by surprise, but he wrapped his arms around you in a less tight manner. You beamed a smile at him "I'm glad you came, Darry! It should be a crime we haven't seen each other for so long." He smiled a genuinely happy smile and nodded "it should be downright illegal." You happily, almost giddily lead him over to the bar where you got two shots from Buck, handing him one "I told you I'd save you a shot, Dar." 

Everything in his mind told him to down it, and without even questioning what kind of alcohol it was, that's exactly what he did. Big mistake; it was whiskey and it burnt like a son of a bitch. He silently thanked you when Buck slid him a glass of water at your signal. "I probably should've told you what that was, sorry Darry," you said almost bashfully. He shook his head and grinned "don't worry about it, I think I needed that." You nodded in agreement with a small smile "you've been workin' too hard Dar, you're goin' out of your mind."

He just shrugged some as the two of you sat down on one of Buck's couches "I've got a lot ridin' on my shoulders (y/n), I can't afford to make mistakes." You gently took one of his hands "Darry, you're entitled to happiness and some peace of mind as much as the next guy."  He just laid his head on your shoulder. You gently ran your fingers through his ungreased hair "come hang out more, Darry, even if it's only once a month it'll do you good. Don't leave me behind again."

Darry looked up at you after the last sentence and, as much as he didn't want to admit it, it was the truth. He'd called quits on your relationship about a year ago and you understood why. He had to focus on helping his parents out and that meant denying personal relationships. At the time he'd thought it'd be worth it, it wasn't. He instantly regretted it, after spending a night without you in his arms.

You smiled happily at him and stood, holding your hand out for him to take. After a confused look and took your hand and stood up, letting you pull him to the dance floor. He opened his mouth to stammer out an excuse but he quickly stopped after you gave him a knowing look. You knew he could dance, you'd done it many times.

After a beer, Darry loosened up enough to actually start having a good time. For the first time in he didn't know how long, he felt completely relaxed and genuinely happy. It's not that he wasn't happy around the gang, you just had this presence that brought out all of his happiness and put him at ease.

As dancing with Darry always went, the hours felt like seconds. The two of you sat back down, this time with your head laying on his chest while you hugged his arm "I missed you Darry, a lot." He leaned down and tilted your head up so you were looking at him, kissing you softly. When you pulled away after a moment and looked up at him, he smiled lovingly "I'm glad you invited me out tonight, doll, I missed you like crazy." You shrugged happily, blushing brightly "your friends set it up." A slightly angry look briefly crossed Darry's face briefly before she shrugged and pulled you in for another kiss, mumbling "I'll get them back later."