Chapter 18

Hey guys!

I'm dedicating this to my new watty friend, Nat (dancerella333) because I really think y'all should go check out her new story called 'And She Dances'. It's Natalie's first ever story and I think she would really appreciate your guys' advice and commets. Please go check her story out and send her some love :)

Enjoy this chapter! It's one of my favorites :) xx Shel

Chapter 18

“I still can’t believe you did that to your hair,” Niall chuckled, twisting a lock of my newly blue dipped hair around his finger as we rode the elevator up to my dad’s flat.

I swatted his hand away because it tickled when he played with my hair. “Technically, Dani did it. Do you like it though?”

He wrapped his arms around me from behind, whispering, “I love it,” in my ear before he kissed my cheek. I giggled and looked at the ground, smiling when Niall intertwined our hands.

We stepped out of the lift on the fifth floor and walked until we saw apartment 5H. I took out my key and unlocked the door, expecting to see my dad right away but all I heard was his voice.

“No, Helen! She’s staying with me! You can’t take her away! No, I’m not!” He rounded the corner, his phone pressed to his ear and a bottle of liquor in the other hand. “I don’t care what you say, you-”

I looked up at Niall as my dad began to curse out my mom. He gave me a puzzled look that probably mirrored my own.

My dad cussed again and threw his phone at the wall in front of him. I flinched when it clashed against it and ricocheted onto the floor. He took a swig of the alcohol before rounding on me. “Where have you been?” His voice was slurred, he was clearly drunk.

Niall grabbed my wrist like he was about to pull me back as I answered. “Dad, I told you. I was going to the studio then Danielle’s.”

He took another giant swallow. “I don’t remember any such thing.” He stumbled around the table. “You can’t just go off and not tell me!” He flung the bottle at me.

Niall grabbed me and hunched over me as the bottle exploded against the wall, sending shards of glass in every direction. I slowly stood up, letting my hands lower from where they had been protecting my head. I looked behind me to see the liquid running down the wall. My mom had been right; this man wasn’t who I thought he was. He was just like the rest of my family; insane.

“I can’t believe you,” I spat at him. “You’re just like her. The only difference is you’re drunk.” I took Niall’s hand to lead him out of the flat, but all the sudden his arms were around my waist and he was yanking me back. I didn’t understand why until a lamp flew in front of my face and smashed against the wall where I had just been standing.

“Come on,” Niall said, pushing me out the door. He shut it in time for us to hear another object crash against it. Niall didn’t say anything, he just took my hand and pulled me to the elevator.

Tears blurred my vision as he pressed the button for whatever floor we were going to. I leaned against the wall and slid down it, letting my head fall into my hands when I was sitting and began to cry. I thought I finally found my escape from my mother, but no. That man in there was not the man I thought he would be. He was nothing but a drunk jerk. But I guess that’s what I get for letting him back into my life so suddenly after not knowing him for almost sixteen years.

Niall knelt in front of me, placing his hand on my arm. “Love, come on. We’ll go to mine and get as far away from here as we can. You don’t need to be in this building at all.”