Chapter 31

Okay, bad news guys. I start to school on Thursday so I don't know how often I'll be able to post. I should be able to update pretty often until dance starts back which is on September 4. So, I'm sorry if my posts start getting less and less!

Question of the chapter: What's your favorite TV show? I really like Doctor Who, Dance Academy, and Bunheads.

xx Shel

Chapter 31

Niall rubbed circles on the back of my hand with his thumb, trying to help me relax. “You’re going to be okay, love.”

“Achilles tendon injuries are bad, Niall. Really bad.” I moved around on the exam room table, causing the annoying paper stuff to crinkle. Tears fell from my eyes and ran down my temples. “If it’s bad enough I might never dance again.”

He shook his head, squeezing my hand. “Don’t think like that. You’ll be fine.”

I continued to stare at the bright lights on the ceiling, letting the tears stream down my face. Why’d this have to happen to me? Dancing was my life, the only thing I ever knew, and now it might be taken away all because Clara just had to show up. She just had to go and ruin my life once again. Why? I don’t understand, why can’t they just let me be happy?

Niall brushed his fingers against the side of my face, whisking away the tears. “Please, Kora, don’t cry. I can’t…”

I turned to look at Niall, seeing his eyes pooling. I pushed myself up on my elbow, leaning forward to kiss his forehead. I pressed my forehead against his, closing my eyes. “Thank you for being here.”

A knock came on the door, followed by Doctor Roads reappearing. “Hello, Ms. Benson. How are you feeling?”

“What kind of question is that?” I mumbled, laying back against the uncomfortable table.

“Fair enough. Okay, so just to go back over what happened you said you did a flip off a table and landed wrong?”

“Yes, sir. I’m a dancer with One Direction and I was doing stunts and I don’t know. I screwed up. When I landed I heard a snap and a really sharp pain shot up my leg.” Partial lie. I knew what happened. I saw Clara and I freaked out, but I couldn’t explain that.

Doctor Roads nodded. “Okay, well, like I said before it’s most likely any Achilles tendon injury. It sounds like you ruptured the tendon, but we’ll need to perform an MRI to see if it’s a partial and complete rupture. I feels like a complete one.”

“What does that mean?” Niall asked, his brows furrowing.

“It means the tendon is most likely completely separated from Kora’s heel bone.”

The tears formed in my eyes again, costing me the ability to speak.

Niall took one look at me and knew exactly what I was thinking. “Will she be able to dance again?”

“If it’s fully ruptured, we’ll need to do surgery to repair the injury and you’ll have about six months of recovery, but after that you should be fine and able to go back to any former activities.”

“Six months?” I squeaked. Did he realize how much flexibility and technique and strength I would lose in that amount of time? I might as well start back from the basics!

“Kora, it’s either the surgery and six months of recovery or no surgery and a longer recovery time and a higher chance of re-injury your ankle,” the doctor explain as patiently as he could.

I felt like hitting something, but I settled grabbing handfuls of my hair and squeezing as tight as I could while I held my breath. Keep in mind that you will be able to dance again, I reminded myself, letting a breath of air out. “Fine, let’s do the MRI and then schedule the surgery.”