Chapter 20

Enjoy the chapter, my loves!

xx Shel

Chapter 20

I crossed my arms over my chest. “What do you want, Dad?”

He sighed. “I’m sorry about last night. I’m a mean drunk, I know that.”

“What happened to ‘I don’t drink’?” I scoffed.

I noticed his fist clinch at his sides. Niall must have noticed to because he stepped back so he was partially in front of me, his hands in his pockets so my dad wouldn’t overreact.

“I lied, okay?” Dad huffed. “I drink; a lot. That’s why I left you with your mom. I didn’t want to hurt you. I didn’t know she would treat you the way she did. I’m so sorry, Kora. Please, come back to mine and I’ll look for help, okay? I promise.”

I shook my head, my red hair falling over my shoulders. “I don’t believe you at all. Why should I? I hardly know you and you’ve already lied to me and threw a lamp at my head. If it wasn’t for Niall, I’d probably be in the hospital.”

“I wouldn’t have hurt you, Kora.”

I rolled my green eyes. “Right, tell that to the smashed bottle of whiskey and the lamp you threw at me.”

His fist suddenly slammed against the wall. “Would you just listen!”

Niall pushed me all the way behind him, keeping a protective arm around my waist. “Get out of my house, right now.”

I peered around his arm, glaring at my father. Why did everyone in my family have to be mental?

Dad scoffed. “What are you going to do?”

Footsteps came down the hallway, followed by Andy’s, the boys’ bodyguard, voice. “Back away, sir.”

Dad looked the huge bodyguard up and down, probably realizing he had no chance whatsoever. “Fine. But, Kora, you should know; your mom’s coming to get you in two days. I told her where you are. I never wanted you here in the first place.” With that, he walked away.

Even though I barely knew the man, it still hurt that he admitted he didn’t care about me one bit.

Andy frowned at the tears that I couldn’t keep from forming in my eyes. “Are you okay, sweetie?”

I nodded, looking down at the ground.

Niall turned around and wound his arms around me, smoothing my hair down. “Shh, it’s okay, love. Your mom won’t be able to take you back.”

I chuckled, wiping the ridiculous tears away. “I’m not worried about that, Nialler. I know we’re leaving to go back to the states tomorrow. I was just hoping I finally had someone who cared, but it turns out I don’t…”

Niall tilted my head back, staring me straight in the eye. “Don’t ever say that again. You have people that care about you, Kora. You have me and I love you with all my heart. You have Danielle who thinks of you as a sister. You have the lads who also think of you as a little sister. You have Eleanor who doesn’t know you that well but still loves you. Then you have Paul, and Andy, and Josh, and Sandy, and Dan…”

I laughed, smiling up at the boy I was in love with. “I get it. You’re amazing, do you know that?”

“Yeah, I know.” He winked, kissing the end of my nose.”

I threw my head back and laughed, wrapping my arms around his neck.

Andy cleared his throat. “I hate to break up this moment, but Paul wants everyone to meet at the studio to rehearse I Want since Kora’s back for good. He wants to change it up a little for the US tour or something.”