Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Niall’s P.O.V.

“I did! I did!” Kora yelled, falling into my lap as she laughed. Her camera was gripped in her left hand, but her right one grabbed onto my arm when I wrapped it around her to keep us both from falling to the ground. My stomach cramped from how hard I was laughing, causing me to lean back and gasp for air.

Red’s body stilled a moment later, her whole frame frozen in place. I looked down at her then followed her gaze to the girl at the front of the line, immediately understanding her sudden change. Right there in front of us was her stepsister, Clara, staring at us with a smirk on her face.

“Get up,” I told Kora, tapping her shoulder to gain her attention.

She snapped her head in my direction, her eyes wide. “What? What are you going to do?”

“I’m getting security to escort her out.”

Kora sat up, but still refused to completely get off me. “No. Let her come up here. Let’s see what she wants.” She turned away from me and tapped Louis, telling him to get the boys to huddle around us for a minute. “Listen guys, see the girl at the front of the line?” She waited for them all to look behind them and nod. “She’s my stepsister, if you don’t remember. Don’t say anything, just let her come down the line until she gets to me. There’s no way she’s just here to get a picture and autograph. Agreed?”

“Agreed,” everyone except me chimed.

Kora gave me a pointed look then climbed off my lap and stood up, brushing herself off. She situated her camera and flashed a grin at the lens. “Alright, guys! Let’s see a couple of the fans get their autographs!”

Paul announced that the fans could come up to us then and took down the velvet rope that separated us, a roar of screams following. Clara walked up to us, flipping her hair back and forth over her shoulders like she couldn’t decide which she liked best. Liam signed the CD she handed him, but didn’t say a word to her, just smiled and waved her on down the line. Kora shook her head at him, but when the next girl stepped up he acted completely normal and chatted with her. By the time Clara got to me, none of the boys had spoken to her aside from a remark Louis made under his breath about how she was dressed. Clara narrowed her eyes when she looked between me and Kora.

“Is something wrong?” I asked, cocking a brow at her.

She looked at Kora, who had slightly lowered her camera so she could see. “Is it true you two are engaged?”

“Of course it is. I asked Kora yesterday and announced it onstage last night.” I signed the CD she held out to me, then gave a casual smile as I handed it back.

“You’re lying. She’s underage, so how can the two of you get married?”

“I don’t believe that’s any of your business,” Kora remarked. I noticed how white her knuckles had gone from how tight she held onto the camera.

Clara put both her hands on her hips and turned toward Kora, her face contorted into an ugly combination of hatred and disgust. “Don’t talk to me.”

I stood up. “Don’t talk to her that way.”

Kora held a hand out at me. “It’s okay, Ni. Clara, don’t you think you should move on? You’re holding up the line.”

The blonde haired girl glanced over her shoulder at the tons of other fans then looked back at us. “No. Not until you give me an answer.”

Kora placed her camera on the edge of our table before placing both her hands on her hips. “We’re not getting married right now, therefore I don’t need parental consent. The wedding will be after I’m eighteen so whatever you say won’t be valid.”