Chapter 14: Calm before the storm

Chapter 14

Y/n pov

"Now introducing the next student, she placed 18th in the obstacle race. Please welcome Momo Yaoyorozu!!" Present Mic announced as the crowd cheers in anticipation. I watch Momo as she walks towards the middle of the arena. I look at the other side waiting for Fumikage to show up. "And introducing her opponent, he placed 9th in the obstacle race, Fumikage Tokoyami!!"

As the others in the crowd cheer for him, I simply watch him as he walks towards the arena. He stands there as he takes a quick look at me. We stare at each other for a moment till he focuses back at Momo.

Midnight soon starts the match between them. Momo created a shield as Fumikage sent out his dark shadow as it clashes against her shield. Unfortunately for Momo, he doesn't let up on his attacks. Momo doesn't have a chance to create anything as she tries to focus on protecting herself from Fumikage's dark shadow. He keeps pushing her back till Midnight finally stops the match.

"Due to ring out, Fumikage Tokoyami is the winner!" Midnight shouts out.

Momo looked at her feet to see that one of her feet crossed over the line. Fumikage walked back into the tunnel as Momo had a crushed expression on her face. She sadly walked back towards the locker room herself. I don't know her very well but I wonder if I should talk to her later. She looks pretty upset.

(Timeskip as a battered Y/n carries Tsuyu on his back.)

After watching Eijiro defeat Kyoka and Bakugo beat Ochako, it was finally time for Izuku's match against Shoto. I would be watching it but Izuku asked me to go visit Ochako in Recovery Girl's room. After passing out during her fight with Bakugo, we were both worried about our brunette friend.

"Think she'll be ok Zwei?" I asked him.

"Hard to say. She's tough but she took a lot of damage" he responded.

"Yeah she did..." I said as my mind wondered.

She did her best during her fight but Bakugo's sheer ferocity simply overpowered her. I finally arrived and let myself in since I didn't see Recovery Girl anywhere. I see Ochako sitting up with red puffy eyes. She's been crying. I gently cough as she looks towards me and quickly wipes her eyes.

"Y/n hey what are you doing here?" She asked me with a smile.

"I came to check on you" I stated. "How do you feel?"

"I feel much better after Recovery Girl used her quirk on me" She told me.

"That's good" I said as I pull a stool over and sat beside her.

"Shouldn't you be up there watching Izuku's match?" She asked me.

"We were both worried about you" I told her. "I'm sure Izuku will do his best no matter what. You already know how much he worries about others."

"Yeah we do.." Ochako says with a smile as she looks down.

I look at her without saying anything. I could tell she was disappointed in what happened. Yet here she was with a smile when for all I know, she could have been crying five minutes ago. I wonder if it's because I'm here...

"You know...it's not healthy to force yourself to be happy" I said as she turns her face with a shocked look on her face. "If you're sad then be sad. If you want to cry, the you should cry. You shouldn't have to feel like you have to hide your feelings from your friends."

"I'm not-" She started to say but I gently raised my hand to cut her off.

"If you can't show your friends your true feelings, then who can you show them to?" I asked her as her eyes began to tear up. "I'm here for you as well as for Izuku. If you can open up to anyone, then please allow me to be one of those people."

Ochako teared up and began to cry as she burrowed her face in my shoulder. I held her and patted her back. After a while she finally lifted her head and wiped her eyes. She gave me a genuine smile as I smile back at her.

"Thank you Y/n" She said to me. "I really needed to hear that."

"Anytime. What are friends-" I stopped as the ground trembled from the vibrations. They lasted for a moment but it was enough to catch us by surprise. "I guess the match should be done or close to it. Guess this means I should head back."

"I'll come with you" Ochako said.

"Are you gonna be ok?" I asked her.

She nodded with her smile. Well if she says she's ok, I guess I should trust her. We began to head back to see how Izuku was doing. We managed to make it back to our seats where we Izuku with a broken left arm and with his right hand severely bruised. Shoto, however, had his left side of his body engulfed in flames while the right was covered in ice.

Looks like we made to the grand finale. I watch as Izuku begins to glow slightly as Shoto throws a pillar of ice towards him. Izuku managed to jump over it and was currently heading towards him. Shoto raised his right hand and shot a blast of fire while Izuku shot a blast of pressurized air from his punch. Just before they collided, five giant pillars of cement formed in the middle of the arena. The explosion demolished the pillars into dust as smoke covered the arena.

I feel Ochako hold onto me as the shock waves from the explosion could be felt throughout the arena. Just how powerful are those two?! Soon the shock waves stop as the everyone in the arena was speechless. No one said anything as the smoke slowly cleared revealing Izuku leaning against the wall of the entrance. He collapse where he stood as the air cleared revealing the Shoto managed to freeze himself where he stood...and for some reason the explosion caused him to be shirtless.

"That makes three clichés right Zwei?" I asked him.

"Nope four" Zwei said.

"Four?" I questioned him.

"The whole you wanting to protect Tsuyu because your life is dangerous but yet you really do care about her is kinda cliché don't you think?" He replied. I didn't respond as I kinda blushed to his answer. Even though I hate to admit it, it was kinda cliché.

"D-due to ring out, the winner of this round is Shoto Todoroki!!!" Present Mic shouted as the audience burst with cheers. I watch as someone appeared behind Present Mic and whispered something in his ear. "Umm due to an unexpected emergency, Tenya Iida has forfeited his place in the event which means Tsuyu Asui will advance to the next round. So we'll be skipping the next fight."

We all looked at Tsuyu as she kept a blank expression. Suddenly Fumikage stood up and began to head out. I watched as it finally clicks that we're finally gonna face each other. I stood up and began to walk towards the locker room. As I walked there, I summoned Zwei and began to walk beside me.

"Nervous kid?" Zwei asked me.

"In all honestly...a little" I answered him truthfully. "It would be idiotic to underestimate him. He has a powerful quick. In a way, it's similar to mine...to us."

"It is but yet it's different" Zwei said as gave me a quick nod. "Unlike me, he can't detach his shadow. It's apart of him."

"True but that makes it a great defensive quirk as well as an offensive one" I told as we arrive in the locker room. "We'll make a plan once we get inside. We will defeat him."

Zwei pulled back and gave me his trademark smile. He walks inside as I watch him. For as annoying as he can be, I would never trade him. I'm so glad he's my quirk. Now it's time to show the everyone else who has the better shadow partner. I walk inside as the locker door closes behind me.