Chapter 40

The eyes of evil that are staring down on all three of our heroes and the small frightened group of sparks lock tight with the assuring promise of a feast of fear for its appetition. The sight of this horrifically demonic beast that spans to the height and width of at least two or three Dream Machines combined strikes terror in their hearts in viewing the towering abomination this creature is. This creature in particular is a beast both Dreamfinder and Figment know all too well; one that they had both faced and defeated once before. Up until now, there has never been sign of recurrence of this creature's return...or worse yet, another source.

"My Gosh! Another nightmare!." Dreamfinder yells.

"Just like the Doubtfinder back at the academy!" said Figment. "Only scarier!"

"Good observation." the nightmare says with an evil grin. "You seem to know about the kind of being I am. I take it that one of you has been infected with my 'fearful epidemic' before. But hold, what is this I see about you? You look like someone or some people I had once seen before. ...Yes...yes! I remember you! I had captured you once before as I had laid waste to this pitiful realm of a mansion. But...how are you here? How could you have escaped my wrath...Elias Dean Finder?"

"Because I am not who you think I am." bravely said Dreamfinder. "I am not my great-grandnephew Elias, but his granduncle. I am Dreamfinder! My purple flying friend here is Figment and this young woman is—"

"Ixnay on my e-namay, Dreamfinder." said Rachel through her teeth in fear with her eyes open wide. "He doesn't need to know who I am, too."

"You? Yes...I remember you!" the nightmare says, as it watches Rachel make a large gulp. The monster pushes Dreamfinder and Figment aside and carefully runs a claw, tracing and framing Rachel's face as she lands her back completely against the nearest wall with the sparks trembling at her side. "I remember how small you once were, how naïve you were, how weak and helpless you were, how deliciously fresh you were with fear. It seems you are still ripe for the picking."

"You leave her alone!" Figment cries. He furiously flaps his wings flying straight to the monster like a bullet only to be whacked and swatted away like bug, landing right against Dreamfinder's torso and knocking them both to the ground.

"And look!" the nightmare continues with its eyes fixed at the sparks. "You have more little sparks of imagination for me to feed on. How courteous of you bring me some. Which one should I consume first?"

"Mama...Mama!" cried the poor little sparks in their trembling.

"NO!" Rachel screams. "I WON'T LET YOU TAKE THEM FROM ME AGAIN!"

"Is that so? I seem to recall the last time we had met when I had warned you to stay out of my way and never dream again...or I would claim you into my grasp of darkness as I had done for your friend."

"You can't take away her dreams!" Dreamfinder shouts. "Rachel! Your fantasies are what make you whole! They helped you get this far! You mustn't let the nightmares overwhelm you again!" But saying this has only gotten Dreamfinder to be whacked away like Figment has, knocking his down to his rump.