006

Chapter Six

I let my tears fall as I leaned my head against the steering wheel.

I looked down at my phone and opened August's message.

August

Sorry bout dat I ain't mean to cause no trouble
But if ya sleep then I'll see you tomorrow cause I'm 'walkin you ta school

12:52 p.m.

August

But if you ain't then goodnight ma

12:53 p.m.

I smiled at the message through my tears. I felt June lick my hand and I looked down to see him looking back up at me.

I sighed and pulled into Red Roof Inn's parking lot. I parked my momma's car and called August.

He picked up on the fifth ring and a small smile appeared on my face.

"Ava," he asked in a sleepy voice.

"I'm sorry, August were you asleep," I asked feeling bad for waking him up.

"Nah you good, what's up?"

"I'm sorry for tonight but you don't have to walk me to school I have my mom's car," I said.

"Well, then I'll see you there," he said.

"Thanks anyway though," I said as I walked into the hotel with my jacket over June's head.

"Hold on," I said as I walked up to the person behind the desk.

"You do know that we allow pets right," she asked as she leaned over to see June under my jacket.

"Oh," I mumbled putting him down and wrapping his leash around my fist.

I gave her my information and went up to the room she assigned me.

I paid and walked over to the elevator. I got on and pressed the second floor.

I pressed my phone to my ear as I walked to room 227.

"I'm back," I said to August.

"Are you at a hotel, ma," he asked.

"Yeah," I said as if it was a question. I pushed the door open once I got the key to work and let June in.

I detached his leash and let him run around. I put my purse on the bed as I listened to August tell me how I could have come to him and what not.

"Why didn't you just come to my house?! Why are you at a freaking hotel, Ava?! Really-"

"August, I'm fine! June and I got a room up here at Red Roof Inn, we're good," I assured him

"Either way, I'm 'comin. You ain't 'finna stay up 'thea by yaself. I'll talk to ya soon, ma," and after that, he hung up on me.

I sighed. Maybe I did have a new friend. Maybe.....just maybe.

I put June's bowl on the floor and put some water in it. I'll just go shopping a bit tomorrow, or I'll be back home by then.

I sat down on the bed and laid back. June put his paws on the side of the bed and I picked him up, setting him on the bed.

My phone rang and I picked it up not looking at the caller ID.

"Hello," I said quietly rubbing June's head.

"What room ya in ma," he said. I looked at the caller ID to see it was August. I put the phone back to my ear and smiled.