014

Chapter Fourteen

One week later

Ava

"What are you wearing to prom," I asked August as we walked through the mall in search for a prom dress.

"I ain't 'goin," he said with his hands in his pockets.

"Really," I asked pulling him into a shoe store.

"Yeah," he said as he stopped by the door.

"Come on August," I said pulling him with me. Girls were everywhere, running around.

I saw some sparkling gold glitter, closed toe high heels. I picked them up and showed them to August.

"You like them," I asked smiling at the shoes. He shrugged his shoulders.

"'Dey aight. It really doesn't matter, 'ya know," he said rocking on his heels and looking around.

"Aye I'm 'finna go look into another store," he said pointing to the door with his thumb.

"Okay," I said not wanting to be clingy to him. He kissed my forehead and walked out of the store.

"Hey do you know what would go with this," someone said from behind me. I turned around and seen a girl similar to me in shape and skin complexion.

She held some black suede pumps in her hands and I nodded. She had good taste because I wanted a pair just looking at them.

"Maybe some black and gold accessories and a gold body chain," I suggested.

"That would be cute," she smiled.

"Want to shop together," she asked.

"Sure."

August

I walked through the mall and seen a dude standing by the store Ava had me up in. I walked over to the store and stood by the door too.

I did not feel like standing in there with girls everywhere. If I was with the boys, we would have went in there just to get some digits and leave. That was the old August, not the new Aug. Maybe I am stuck on Ava... 'Ion know.

"'Yo girl in 'dea too," he asked me.

"Yeah" I nodded my head.

"Ion know what's so good about the dang on mall wit girls. I come get what I need in less 'dan an hour and I'm out. Ava in the store an hour an only found a pair of shoes."

"Right! I swear Jess be doing the same shit! We be in the mall for about five hours 'tryna find a whole outfit when I find one in an hour," he said.

"Man I swear if I was a girl I wouldn't know what 'ta do! Ava had me up in dea girls everywhere! 'Dey do not compare to ha, but 'dey be 'givin me da eye. Ion think she see it, but I do," I explained.

"Me too I had to leave for I end up 'hurtin somebody 'chile 'feelins."

I nodded my head.

"I'm August," I said holding out my hand.

"I'm Lucas," he said shaking my hand.

"Luke look," a girl said walking out of the store. Ava came out and spotted me. She walked over to me and showed me the shoes she was looking at before I left.

"August this is Jessica Jess this is August," Lucas said. The girl resembled Ava in some aspects. She waved and gave me a small smile.

"And Ava this is Lucas, Lucas Ava," I said.

"You know him," Ava and Jessica asked at the same time pointing at us.

"'Jus met," Lucas and I said at the same time.

"We just met," Ava and Jessica, said at the same time.

"Well it looks like 'erybody know 'erybody," Lucas said.

"We about to go get our dresses together meet us at the food court," Ava said to me.

"Okay ma," I said.

Jessica kissed Lucas and she waited on Ava. Ava looked up at me and I kissed her forehead. She said her goodbyes and smiled before walking away with Jessica.

"Why you kiss her forehead? She your daughter or something," Lucas asked.

"Nah she's a close friend," I chuckled.

"So why you ain't say that," he asked.

"You never asked."

"But I said quote on quote "Yo girl in dea too!"

"Yeah about dat...She ain't my girl."

"Y'all act like it 'doe. Why you ain't 'jus kiss ha. Yo eyes lit up when she walked through dat doe," he chuckled.

"Yeah...dey probably did," I mumbled.

"Man shut up! You like ha and you know it," he said as we walked towards footlocker.

"Maybe I do...," I said as we walkedinto the store.