013

Chapter Thirteen

Two more weeks later

August

"I know she isn't! Anthony you talk about her too much," my mother complained as she stirred her pot.

"Momma she just a friend," I laughed.

"Anthony she is not just a friend. You say you want everything in her, in your wife August. She is the one," my mother yelled.

"Momma stop," I said as I listened to her tell me that Ava is the one for me.

"Boy shut yo mouth! The way you talk about her...she's the one!"

"Right," my siblings chimed in as they walked downstairs.

"Shut up," I said to them as they all laughed and walked out the front door.

"So mama," I started.

"You really think dat she da one fa me," I asked as I intertwined my fingers and leaned across the island.

"Yes son," she said as she stirred her pot.

"I wanna meet ha," my momma said. I shook my head no.

"Nah momma she ain't ready for dat," I explained.

"Boy please! Bring her by next week when your grandma is down here."

"Okay Mama," I said as I got up and hugged her. I kissed her cheek and told her I'll see her later.

Once I got outside I got in my car and drove back home. I told my momma I was moving out and that I got an apartment.

I told her about me and Ava moving in together even though we not together and she told me to get down on one knee.

I chuckled and laughed at her joke. She was cool as long as I had a job. I told her I did at a local grocery store...but y'all know what I do.

I drove down the street from where I used to live and turned the corner. I passed by Ava's old house and seen clothes all over the lawn.

I stopped the car once I seen her mom fly out of the house and onto the porch. She held her hands up in front of her face as her dad walked out.

He snatched her up and I parked my car on the opposite side of the road. I got out of the car and walked over to the house.

I knocked on the door because it was now closed. Her mother came to the door a few minutes later and her left eye was black, her lip was busted, and her cheeks had scratches.

"Mrs. Frost are ya okay," I asked as she smiled.

"Yes Mr.?"

"August," I said.

"Yes Mr. August I am fine."

I nodded and turned around knowing that was a lie.

"Tell Ava we still love her...if you speak with her," she said.

"Yes ma'am," I said turning around.

"If you don't get yo hood rat a-"

"David!"

"Get off my property," he yelled after me.

I could smell a crack head thirty thousand miles away, and let's just say my nose hairs tingling.

I got into my car and hurriedly pulled off in the direction of the apartment.

Ava