007

Chapter Seven
the Next Day

I stepped out of the car with June in my hands.

Mrs. Penny had grandchildren that lived with her so they should be happy to have June.

I smiled at her as she rocked in rocking chair on the porch.

"Hi Mrs. Penny," I said to her as I walked up her porch steps.

She turned to me with the biggest smile on her face. Wakeem and I used to talk to her all the time. Now it's just me...and August and June.

"Mrs. Penny do you mind if I leave my puppy June here just while I go to school?"

"Sure baby, my grandbabies will love him," she said as her grandkids ran out to catch the bus that pulled up at the top of the road.

"Or they will be in school just like you, she chuckled.

"Cassidy, Cassandra, Christopher, Carleton be careful," she yelled to the kids running to catch the bus.

They were in middle school and ready for the school year to be over.

"Or we could just take him to my house, my mom's won't mind," August said.

"Okay," I said.

"I'm sorry to bother you Mrs. Penny."

"It's okay kids," she said fixing her glasses. Her husband came out of the house and he smiled at us.

"Long time no see Mr. Penny," I said a smile on my face.

"Hi Ava, I haven't been seeing you that much because I've been having some back problems," he said leaning back into his rocking chair.

"Well I hope it feels better Mr. Penny."

"Me too Ava," he said fixing his glasses.

"We guys I'll be back I have to get to school," I said picking June up.

"We'll see you later Ava," Mrs. Penny said.

"See ya guys later," August said.

"Oh young man I didn't even know you were there. Come on in here," Mr. Penny said.

August opened the porch door and stepped inside.

He nodded his head to Mr. Penny and smiled at Mrs. Penny.

"How y'all 'doin?"

"We're fine," Mrs. Penny said with a smile on her face.

"Is this your new boyfriend," Mrs. Penny asked.

"No we're just friends," me and August said at the same time.

We looked at each other and back at Mrs. Penny.

"Mhmm, mhmm," she hummed looking between the both of us.

"Well it looks like I'll be seeing the both of you later then," she said as smiled at the both of us.

I smiled and turned around. I grabbed August by the hand and lead him towards the car.

"See you guys later," I said as August started the car up and headed towards his house.

I was about to stay in the car when he opened my door.

"Come on," he said pulling my hand.

"August I'm not about to go in there. Are your parents even home?"

"Nah they not. It's just me, and my 'moms. I'm eighteen 'baybeh 'guh. My 'moms is at ha job," he said his accent coming out.

"Oh, accent game strong," I joked getting out of the car.