No Room For Sympathy

I sat there awkwardly spinning my soccer ball, as he looked at me. It took me about 5 minutes to finally calm myself down. Once I finally had, I had pushed myself away from him. Feeling awkward and ashamed for showing my feelings to my enemy. He saw at my weakest point, and helped me calm down. He let me cling to him as I cried for my deceased dad. Why was that? Why was he nice to me then? My eyes were still puffy, and I'm sure they were red.

He finally broke our awkward silence. "I'm sorry about what I said... I'm sorry for your loss."

What, so now he decides to be a decent human being?

I chuckled softly to myself before I gave him an icy glare, "I don't need your sympathy."

I scooped up my soccer ball and walked away from him. I grabbed my duffle bag and started to head towards the exit.

"Wait!" I heard him yell after me.

I stopped where I was and spun to look at him, nearly running into him. "Look. I don't need your sympathy. I don't want, your sympathy. So go back to treating me like a piece of shit. It seems like that's the only thing your good at!" 

He looked shocked, and...hurt? I didn't care though, I could see in the far end of the parking lot that the first of the girls were arriving for practice. I quick turned and walked towards the exit again leaving him standing there speechless. I saw coach Jen enter the side gate and I jogged over to her.

"Hey there Summer! I see you're here early again. Ready to practice." She asked grabbing the ball bags and cones. She turned to look at me and saw my puffy eyes. "Are you alright?"

"That's what I came to talk to you about. I don't feel too good and I was wondering if I could leave..?" I bit my bottom lip hating to lie to my coach.

She hesitated before finally nodding. "Get better though. I expect to see you here tomorrow."

I nodded, "Yes ma'am"

I headed towards the side walk and began to walk him. I tried to sort through my mind all the shit that happened today. But it all just seemed blurred and I couldn't make much sense of it.

I jumped when a truck pulled up beside me. The passenger door flew open and I saw that Junior again leaning over and looking at me. May I remind you that I have yet to know his name. English or German. But I'm tempted to just name him dumb ass.

"Hey, let me give you a ride." He said.

"No thanks." I said looking forward and I continued to walk. He drove slowly beside me causing bunch of angry drivers to honk at him.

"if you don't soon, I'm pretty sure one of these drivers would come out here and beat me for driving so slow."

I smirked still not looking at him, "That would be enjoyable to watch..."

"Come on. Do you really want to walk home?" he asked.

I thought about it for a second . No, I honestly don't want to walk the 10 miles to get to my house. I glanced back at the long line of cars behind him and gave in. I threw my duffle bag and backpack in the back of his truck and climbed in. I hugged the ball to my chest, and stared ahead.

The whole car ride we rode in silence. Absolute silence. As much as I welcomed it, I still found it troubling. I wanted him to speak. But then part of me hoped he wouldn't... I showed him where I lived and he dropped me off.

"You live here?" he asked with a chuckle. I grabbed my bag, "Yeah. Why is that funny?"

"It's funny cause I live in the house behind you..." I glanced over my fence and looked at the back of a two story house. Great, just great. My enemy lives behind me. That's just fabulous. Without another word I slammed the door and stomped up to my house. I un locked the door, and when I opened it I realized he was still there. I shut my door and sucked in a huge breath. I just want this day to be over. I thought, collapsing on my bed. I kicked my cleats off, not even minding the slight smell. I rested my head in the pillow and glanced at the picture of my dad and I on my night stand. In the picture I was 7 and I was sitting on my dad's shoulders as I held up my soccer ball. My dad had his coaching sweats on and held up his fist victoriously.

I smiled and hugged the picture to my chest, as a tear streamed down my cheek.