Bryson

Britney and I continued to walk around the mall. We both had our dresses, and I had insisted we should go home, but Britney had other plans. “We still gotta find you a date!” Brit pointed out.

“I don’t need a date. I can rock homecoming solo.” I told her.

She raised her eye brow and just gave me a, ‘Seriously?’ look.

 “Whatever, I gotta go pee.” Brit said.

“Fine, I’m gonna head to the food court and get something to eat. Meet ya there?’

“Mkay”

I made my way to the food court debating what I was hungry for. Hmmm, do I wasn’t some burgers, or Chinese, or a sub..? Hmmm… I descided on a sub, and as I stood in line a girl pushed passed me making me drop my purse and my bag containing my brand new dress. I quickly dropped to my knees trying to gether all my things when a hand helped me. I looked up to see a handsome boy with blue eyes and jet black hair. “Uhhh, thanks…” I said with a small smile, blushing.

“No problem.” He smiled back.

I bit my lip nervously. When he didn’t leave, I decided to continue the conversation. “So do you go to O’Connor Fair Township High School?”

“No, I actually go to Edwardville High school. I’m actually a Senior there, and what grade are you..?” he asked.

“Ummm, I’m a sophomore…” I said, fully prepared for the verbal abuse I would receive.

“Damn, you don’t look like a sophomore! I thought you were a Senior or high school grad.” He exclaimed.

“Oh. Sorry.” I said, turning around to face the opposite direction. I knew he wouldn’t want to speak to me if I were a sophomore, maybe if I were a Junior or a Senior it might be different.

I felt a tap on my shoulder, I turned to face him. He was smiling, “I never said it was a bad thing being a sophomore.”

I smiled back. That was a refreshing change. “I’m Summer. And you are?”

“Jack Bryson.” He grinned back.

I raised my eyebrow wondering if I heard him right. Is his last name really Bryson? Like Bryce-on? Why am I suddenly filled with images of Bryce. My german partner.

The lady at the register cleared her throat, and I hadn’t even realized that I had made it to the front of the line. I quickly apologized, and ordered a grilled sub. I reached into my purse to pull out my debt card. But when  I looked back up to hand her the card, she was already swiping one. I looked around confused. The lady handed Jack the card and he slipped it back into his wallet.

“Umm, why did you pay for my sandwich?” I asked, beyond confused. “Because, I figured if I bought you this lunch then you would have to sit with me and this could be our first date.” He explained.

“Date?”

He grinned, “Yeah a date. Cause in all honesty I like you. I know it’s only been like 2 minutes but, now we can get to know each other over lunch.” He said.

I felt awkward; this senior was hitting on me. Plain old Summer. Why not give in?

“Alright Jack.” I said. He smiled and when the lady handed me my sandwich, he threw and arm around my shoulder and led me to a table.

I couldn’t help but wish Brit would find me. I should be enjoying this, right? But what about, Bryce?