BUBBLES!

I sat down at the table in my kitchen chewing the eraser top. I knew I shouldn’t, but it helped me concentrate when I had a lot of homework. And I had so much homework it wasn’t even funny. Not that homework was ever funny.

I looked down at the chemical equations I was working on. I had already done 22 and I had 8 more. I didn’t even have soccer practice today, which made this even harder to bear. My phone started to ring. The familiar song Hit and Run by Breath Carolina filled the air. I picked up my phone an answered it. “Damn it Bryce! Now I’m gona have this song stuck in my head and I won’t be able to concentrate on my homework!” I said into the phone. I heard Bryce’s soft chuckle on the other end in response. “What do you want Bryce?”

“Well, I’ve been staring at my German home work for about an hour and I’m completely lost.” He explained.

“Well, what number are you on?”

“I haven’t even started.”

I sighed. “Well, if you need help you can come over. But you gota beg.”

“Really? Do I have to?”

“Only if you want a hundred on your homework.” I said, a grin playing at the cornore of my lips.

“Pleeeeeease Summer.” He begged. Him saying my name made a weird feeling in my stomach. And a giggled.

“Okay, I’ll help you. Just let yourself in when you get here.”

“Alright, I’ll be there in a couple minutes.

Moments later I heard the door open and close. “Hey.” I said, without looking up from my paper.

“Hey there, sophomore.” He teased. I smiled. We still teased each other. I sometimes called him Junior and he sometimes called me sophomore.

He sat down at the table, placing a folder on the corner of it. “Hold on I’ll help you as soon as I finish this problem…. There.” I put the paper back in my folder and gave my full attention to Bryce. He pulled out his paper and began to work on it.

About 20 minutes had passed and we had finally finished the first page out of three. I heard the familiar click of my mother’s heels on the wooden floor.

“Summer! I’m home!” she yelled from the front hallway.

“What do you want for dinner?” she asked, walking into the kitchen to find me and Bryce arguing on the pronunciation of a certain word.

“No it Ich bin! Ich! Like ick!” I argued

“No, I’m pretty sure its ish bin.” He said shaking his head.

My mother laughed which made both of us stop our bickering and glance up.

“Hi mom.” I said.

“Hi Mrs. Gerlds.” Bryce said with a smile.

“Hello, Bryce.”

This was the second time my mom had walked in on me and Bryce, but this time was better than the last. Last time it looked as if we were moments away from making out. This time we were arguing over German homework.

We continued to work on our home work as the familiar smells of spaghetti and meatballs filled the air. My mouth watered, but ignored it and continued to help Bryce. “Okay, so now all you have to do is match the phrases with the right word and then your done!” I told him.

“Dinners ready!” My mom said.

“Oh, I guess I should get going.” Bryce said, standing up.

“Sit down young man!” my mother ordered.

Bryce sat back down immeadiatly.

My mother smiled, “I called your mom and told her your staying for dinner.”

“How do you have his moms number?” I asked.

“I met her last weekend at the soccer trivia night and we sort swapped numbers.” She explained, caring over a large pot of noodles, mixed with spaghetti sauce and meat balls.

“Looks delicious mom!” I said licking my lips.

“Smells awesome Mrs. Gerlds.” Bryce said politely.

“Please, call me Candice .” My mom said.

“Well I’m gona go change out of my scrubs. I don’t want to get spaghetti sauce on them.” She walked out of the kitchen.

“I’m kind of glad you’re here.” I admitted, twirling the noodles around my fork.

“Really?” he asked raising an eyebrow.

I bit my lip nervously. “Yeah, I mean, we’ve become friends and I have fun with you…”

He smiled, “I have fun with you too. More fun than I ever thought I could have with you. Sometimes even more than-“ My mom walked in and Bryce shut up.

I wanted to yank my hair out. MORE THAN WHAT! Ugg gosh! This is pure freaking insanity!

My mom, Bryce and I made small talk until we were done eating. My mom stood up and started to clear the table. I started to run the water to wash the dishes when I noticed Bryce was helping my mom. I smiled so big my cheeks hurt. After he finished clearing the table off he scooted next to me and started to help me with the dishes. I looked at the soapy water and got the best idea. I stopped scrubbing the plate I was working on, and scooped up a hand full of bubbles, and smacked Bryce. His face was covered in bubbles, and he looked absolutely hilarious. I doubled over and laughed. Bryce wiped his face of and rubbed the bubbles in my hair. I grabbed another handful of bubbles and threw them at his shirt. Before he could retaliate, I ran. He chased after me with a handful of bubbles, the both of us laughing like lunatics. He reached out and grabbed my waist, spinning me around. With his free hand he smeared the bubbles all over my face. I laughed even harder, as did he. After a couple minutes I had to take a deep breath because I was laughing so hard. When I looked down I saw that his hand still lingered on my waist, and it brought back that weird funny feeling in my stomach.

His touch was electrifying, and I was enjoying every second of it.