Our Story

Have you ever been so happy that your cheeks hurt from smiling? Or that the butterflies in your stomach has multiplied to the point where you feel like you might fly away with them? That’s how I felt right now as I got ready for homecoming. I was in the process of curling my long hair. I had half of it curled perfectly. I only had about 15 minutes until we had to leave. I should have plenty of time. I already did my makeup. I had outlined my eyes in black eyeliner, then I put sliver and blue glitter eye shadow on my eyelids, to match my dress.

I added the last curl and smiled at how I looked. It took me 2 hours to get ready, and I think I was finally done. I smoothed my dress out, and slipped on my blue heels. I heard Bryce laugh downstairs. He had come over a little early to pick me up and had been talking with my mom. He had looked so handsome in his dress clothes. He was wearing black dress pants with a deep blue dress shirt to match me dress. He was even sporting a boot/air cast. It turns out that bastard from Trenton had fractured his leg.

As I started to walk down the stairs I realized the difference between Bryce and Jack. When I went to Jack’s homecoming he made me go to his house. But Bryce… He wanted to pick me up. I made my way down the stairs, and the laughing stopped. Bryce stared in awe. I bit my lip nervously as his eyes grazed over my body. What if he thought I looked bad? Jack had thought I looked terrible that night.

Bryce walked up to me and wrapped his strong arms around my waist and pulled me close, “You look beautiful!”

“Really?” I asked nervously.

“Really. Your absolutely stunning.”

“PICTURE TIME!” my mother yelled. I giggled and turned around in Bryce’s arms so that I faced my mom. I rested my hands on top of Bryce’s which were still wrapped around my waist. I leaned against him and smiled.

My mom took multiple pictures of us. I nearly went blind from the constant flash of light.

“Okay mom, I think that’s enough pictures.” I told her.

“Oh, alright.” My mom said with a frown as she scanned through all the pictures. I took that as our queue to leave. I gabbed Bryce’s hand and stated to lead him towards the door. “Bye Mom!”

“Bye honey! Have fun!”

As soon as the door shut Bryce spun me around, making my dress twirl. He spun me around, and eventually into is arms.

“You know, I wanted to kiss you in there as soon as I saw you in there, but I didn’t want to do that in front of your mom.” He said grinning.

I smiled back and wrapped my arms around his neck, “Same here.” I pulled him down to me and pressed my lips to his.

~~*~*~~

When we arrived to the dance, it was already packed with people. Brit was sitting outside waiting for us, with her date. Her date was Gus, the senior from the varsity soccer team.

“Hey girl!” Britney squealed, running up to hug me and making me let go of Bryce’s hand. Bryce went up to talk to Gus leaving us by ourselves. “So Gus huh?” I asked eyeing her suspiciously. “Yeah…”

“But you gave me a hard time with Bryce cause he was a year older than me, and now you’re doing the exact same thing.” I said teasing her. Well, actually Gus was 2 years older than her. He was held back his freshman year. So technical instead of being the “sophomore and junior”, they’re like the “junior and the senior who’s supposed to be in college by now.”

“To be honest, it just sort happened… We just talked after the game against Trenton and one thing led to another and no were sort together.” She explained.

Before I could say anything else, Bryce had walked up behind me. “Excuse me Brit, if you don’t mind, I’d like to take my girlfriend to the dance floor.”

He just called me his girlfriend! Oh. My. God. This is the best night ever. I knew we weren’t really friends anymore, but something more. But he, well a guess me too, well we never went as far as saying we were boyfriend or girlfriend yet. Bryce is my boyfriend. Hmmm, I like the sound of that.

Brit smiled, as Bryce led me inside and to the dance floor. I gasped in awe. There were chandlers hanging from the gym ceiling. A huge castle like structure was built in the corner with the banner saying, ‘Once Upon A Time…” hanging over it. Laser lights of all colors shot throughout the room making it seem like some sort of futuristic fairy tale.

Icona Pop’s ‘I love it’ started to blare throughout the gym. Bryce led me to the dance floor and we started to dance. The air was so full of energy as the fast and fun song continued to play.

“Now, everyone grab your date for the first slow dance of the night.” The DJ announced.

Just then ‘Your Beautiful’ by James Blunt started to play.

I bit my lip nervously as couples started to come together to dance. Bryce came up from behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. I’ve never really danced with a boy before… Especially not to a slow dance. I reached up and put my arms around his neck. Bryce smiled down at me and started to move. I leaned my head against his chest as he led us around the dance floor.

I closed my eyes, enjoying this magical moment. The song continued to play, and I was shocked to hear Bryce singing along to it. “My life is brilliant. My love is pure. I saw an angel. Of that I'm sure.” He sang. I looked up at him and he was already looking at me. He had a smile on his face, and a look in his eyes that made my knees go weak. Good thing he was holding me up.

“You're beautiful, You're beautiful, You're beautiful, it's true.” He sang.

I felt tears well up in my eyes.  I was so happy right here with him. It was like my own personal fairy tale. With a sad beginning, and a wonderful end. But then again, it wasn’t the end. Oh no, it was merely beginning of my story… Our story. The story of the me and my soccer boy