Ice Cream Surprise

I sat on the grass with my team as I stretched my legs. We had already run our lap and as the seconds ticked by the closer we go to playing. We stood up and did our shooting drill, and our passing drill before the refs signaled for the game to start. I ran up to the refs as did a girl from the other team. "Call it." The ref said as he flipped the coin.

"Heads." I said.

"Heads it is." I nodded, and ran back to my team.

"Alright girls were starting, okay?" I asked. They nodded and ran to get in position. This should be an easy game. After all, Afton wasn't a very good team. But we will play this game like every other game. With all the seriousness as if we were playing Trenton.

Before the game even started, I glanced over and saw Bryce. He was wearing a jersey. But not his own jersey. Instead he was wearing a jersey with a number that matched mine. #14. How in the world..?

I smiled a big goofy smile as the ref blew the whistle and the game began. I kicked the ball to Julie and with that, the game began. "

~*~*~

I grabbed my bottle and finished it off. "Good game Summer." Coach Jen said.

I smiled. We had beat Afton 11 to 3. It was awesome.

I swung my bag over my shoulder and grabbed my soccer ball before heading over to where Bryce leaned against the fence. "You were awesome out there." He told me.

I laughed lightly, "Thanks."

"So where'd ya get this?" I asked, poking his jersey.

"Well, I wanted people to see who I was rooting for so I convinced Tyler to lend me his jersey." He told me. Oh yeah, Tyler did have the #14 jersey on the boys varsity team.

"That's real sweet of you. So sweet I think you might have given me a cavity" I teased.

Bryce chuckled.

"So where do you wana go?" he asked. "Umm, home?" I said, confused.

"No, where do you wana go to celebrate your win?"

"Beating Afton isn't really a win. Its like saying beating the other half of your team during a scrimmage is a real win." I pointed out.

"A win is a win." He said.

"Well, I'd rather not go out anywhere. I'm all sweat and gross. My hair is sticking out everywhere, and I have grass stains everywhere." I said.

"What's more attractive than that?" he said. I laughed. More so because I didn't know what to do.

"I'll find a place you'll like." He promised.

"There's no need too." I protested

"Of course there is. Don't you trust me?" he asked, looking offended.

"Yeah, but-"

"Then there's no need to worry." He told me.

He led me to his truck and we drove off. We drove for about 10 minutes, and the whole time we were joking back and forth. He drove up into a parking lot and I saw we were at Dairy Queen. I went to reach for my sweatshirt, embarrassed of my appearance, but Bryce grabbed my hand. "What did I tell you? You look sexy in your soccer stuff." he said with a wink.

I blushed uncontrollably. He led me into Dairy queen and we leaned against the wall. "What do you want?"

"Ummm, something with chocolate. I love chocolate!" I confessed.

"I know exactly what you want. Go sit down so I can surprise you." He told me. I went to go sit under the air conditioner, and I looked out the window. Okay, so Bryce has called me attractive and sexy in one day... Is he just being friendly? Or a flirt? Or does he like me?" I sighed in frustration

"Here" Bryce slid a cup across the table. I looked down. It was a blizzard. With chocolate ice cream, brownie pieces, m&m's and hot fudge.

"Oh my lord!" I said, gazing wide eyed at the mound of chocolate goodness.

"What did you get for yourself?"

"The same thing. This is what I usually get when I come here." He told me, scooping up a spoonful of ice cream. I did the same. "Holy heaven!" I said as the chocolate spread over my taste buds. "This is awesome!" I said.

"I know." He said with a chuckle.

"This is fun." I started. "I haven't done this since-" I stopped m self. I haven't done this since my dad passed away. He used to take me out to get ice cream after every game. It was a tradition. A tradition that ended the day he left on the plane. I took a deep and shaky breath. Bryce looked up from his ice cream and looked at me with concern. He stood up and moved to my side of the booth. "You haven't done this since your dad passed?" he guessed.

I bit my lower lip and nodded. "I'm sorry Summer." He said wrapping his strong arms around me. I rested my head on his chest. "It's okay. I'm glad we did this though. I have more fun with you then I have with Britney recently." I said truthfully.

"Same here. I have more fun with you then with the guys from the team." He said resting his chin on my head. I'm sure if anyone saw us they would think we were a couple. Are we? No... were just supposed to be friends. No not even friends. We're just supposed to be partners in German class.