Rain Hiding Rainbows

Crap, crap, crap ,crap! I repeated in my head. It was pouring outside and I was franticly trying to make it into the safety of the warm and dry school. I dodged a muddy puddle and jumped onto the side walk. I was a mere 40 feet from the entrance of the school. I was already soaked and I knew my makeup was running. Why today, of all days did my mom have to go in early? I ran faster, taking longer steps and there I was. I reached for the door handle and entered the school. I was soaking wet! Dripping wet. The security guard raised an eyebrow at my appearance but I just gave him a polite smile before heading off to the nearest restroom. The best part about having an early bird class is you don’t have to deal with everybody right away. Only about 100 students take an early bird out of the thousands that went here.

A shiver ran down my back as I started to feel the cool air from the AC chill me to the bone. This rainy weather seemed to mirror my feelings today. Bryce hadn’t responded to any of my texts or calls. And it literally just kills me to think he might be ignoring me because of the kiss we shared yesterday.

I made a squishy noise as I walked through the hallways. I entered the bathroom an nearly gasped at what I saw. My bright neon pink shirt was so wet you could see my black bra underneath. So much for an awesome dress up day for homecoming! My pink converse were brown from mud, my pink socks shared the same muddy fate.

I looked in the mirror and fixed my makeup, which was really just fixing my makeup that ran all over my face. Next were the shoes and socks. I slipped them off and pulled on a pair of white soccer socks, which were the only spare socks I possessed at the moment. I put on my black Nike sandals. My hair was okay, and still up in its pony tale.

As for the shirt? Well I guess I’m just going to have to cover it with binders while I walk down the hallway, until it dries. I groaned as I walked out of the restroom and in the direction of my locker. I placed my backpack on the ground and put in my combination. It clicked and opened for me. A blue and green soccer ball fell out. What the? This isn’t my soccer ball… I was about to grab the soccer ball when I noticed roses laying on a shelf. I pulled them out.

47 roses. Holy crap! That’s a lot! There were 45 red roses and one blue matched with one green. I almost forgot about the soccer ball that had fallen out of my locker. I kneeled down and picked it up. There were words written on it. I spun it around and read it.

‘Will you go to Homecoming with me?’

I heard someone walk up behind me but I didn’t care… or at least not until I heard who it was.

“Summer?”

I turned around to see Bryce sporting a one crutch. He must have really gotten hurt yesterday, but I already knew that. I looked up into those beautiful green eyes, and waited for him to continue.

“Will you go to homecoming with me?” he asked.

“YES!” I screamed, throwing my arms around his neck. His hands wrapped around my waist as he supported himself skillfully on the crutch.

He pulled away slightly and pressed his lips to mine.

This moment was so amazing. So beautiful and wonderful. We pulled away and smiled at each other. “I can believe you did all this!” I said. Motioning to the soccer ball and the roses. The roses! “Why 47 roses?” I asked.

A huge grin spread across his face. “1 for every day since I’ve met you, 45. And one blue rose, since it’s your favorite color, and one green because it’s my favorite. ” He explained.

My cheeks turned bright red, “Wow, that’s really romantic. Did you come up with this all on your own big boy?” I teased.

“Of course! Well actually, I needed Brits help to break into your locker.” He said pulling me closer.

I chuckled at that. This was so perfect… Except for the fact that I was freezing!

Bryce noticed then that I was shivering.

“Summer? Why are you all wet?”

“Well if you haven’t noticed it is raining outside.” I said, pointing out the obvious.

“Well here take my sweatshirt.” He said, pulling his sweatshirt over his head and giving it to me.

I blushed as I put it on. It was so warm!

“Hehe, uhh thanks.” I said nervously.

“No problem babe.” He said, planting a kiss on my forehead.