Blind and Cocky

Right away I could tell that something wasn’t right. Our boys were scoring goals left and right, and instead of sulking or getting pumped up to score a goal back, the Trenton team just snickered. I eyed them curiously, what were they up to. At half time our team was celebrating, why wouldn’t they? They were beating Trenton 4 to 0. I ran up to the fence and called out to Bryce who was drinking water. He came over to me, “What?”

“You know their letting you score goals right? They’re going to annihilate you guys this half if you don’t keep your head in the game.”

“They cant beat us, we’re winning Summer.”

“If you let that cockiness cloud your mind they’re for sure gona kick your ass Bryce.” I said.

Some of the boys from the team over heard us and turned to watch, waiting to see how Bryce would react to my comment. Bryce had noticed too, he glared at me. “You don’t know what you’re talking about, soph-y!” He said soph-y almost as if it were some foul word.

The other boys chuckled slightly, but I ignored them.

“Iknow exactly what im talking about junior!” I responded coldly, mocking his tone.

He glanced at his team mates behind him, who had their eye brows raised as if asking “Are you gona take that?!”

Bryce looked back at me and straightened out, “You better watch it soph-y. If I were you, I’d go sit down and shut the hell up.” And with that he turned away to walk back to the bench, receiving high fives from his teammates.

The refs blew their whistles signaling that half time was up. The boys walked onto the field, ready to play. The whistle was blown again, and the game had begun. I watched as the ball was passed to Bryce, and how he weaved his way in and out of players, not even paying attention to the Trento boy coming to his side. In one movement the Trenton boy jammed his elbow into Bryce’s ribs, sending him to the ground in pain, as the Trenton boy easily maneuvered to the goal to score a point.

Bryce kneeled on the ground, gripping his side, and gasping for air. While some teammates when to aid him others looked to the ref, wondering why there was no penalty. The ref just waved it off as nothing. Great, were stuck with one of those refs. I watched as the coach ran out to the field to help Bryce. I clenched my teeth, partly because I wanted badly to help him too, partly because I was pissed that he didn’t listen to me. And not only did he not listen to me, but he publicly humiliated me in front of our peers.

How dare he! I was trying to help him! And his stupid team! I thought he said he was gona try to make this work!? I thought he was gona try to be nice to me!? I thought he said he would protect me from the upperclassmen verbal attacks, when really I needed protecting from him! Well serves me right for thinking he had somehow magically changed overnight! He hasn’t changed. He just wanted to bring his verbal attacks more public. Well screw him! When I glanced at him one last time I noticed he was staring back at me .I glared at him and pulled his jersey over my head and tossed over the fence onto his bag. (I was glad I had decided to wear a tank top underneath.)

I didn’t even wait to see his reaction. I spun on my heel and began walking towards the street. I could be home before it starts getting dark if I start now. And I sure as hell wasn’t going to stay to watch their team lose.