I Need a Hero

I walked in a day dream to the soccer field. Memories of last night, and Bryce’s touch still fresh in my mind. I was so unfocused I didn’t even realize that someone was standing in my way, until I ran into them. “Sorry!” I quickly apologized.

“Don’t be.” The person said.

“Jack?” I gasped, shocked.

“I think you might have given me the wrong number, cause I keep calling, and texting and there’s no response.” He said, raising his eyebrow.

“I’m sorry, but can we talk about this later? If I’m late to practice, coach will make me run laps.”

“This won’t take very long. I just wanted to ask you to be my date to my homecoming.” He told me, as if it were a statement and not really even and a question. Almost as if he already anticipated me to say yes.

“Well, I, uhh-“

“GERLDS! GET YOUR BUTT OVER HERE!” I heard coach yell. I sighed in relief.

“I’ll get back to you on that.” I told him.

“I want an answer by tomorrow. I heard him yell behind me, as I made my way to the field.

~*~*~

“So are you gona go?” Bryce asked. His face had the look of shock and disgust mixed together.

“I don’t know… I don’t have a reason not too…” I said in defeat. I came to Bryce before Britney. Why? Because I wanted him to beg me not to. I wanted him to say he loved me, and the thought of me being in another man’s arms repulsed him! When I looked up at his face, I was almost positive those were the exact words that would tumble out of his mouth. But when I heard his actual words my heart literally tore into two.

“You should go.” He told me.

“Wha-What?” No, don’t say that! Why would you say that?! I was sure you felt the same way I did after last night! Please Bryce! I wanted to break down and cry right there. Because in all honesty, I loved him. I loved Bryce. I connected with him. I connected a lot better with him then with my own best friend! Or even my own mom! We spoke a language that connected us, mind, body and soul. And I’m not talking about what little German we know. I’m talking about the language of soccer. He has the same passion as I do. The same fire in his eyes in the face of a challenge. The same fearless poker face, when met face to face when an opponent! We are so alike, and that’s what draws me to him. And now he’s telling me to go out with some other boy. Well fine!

I pulled out my phone and searched through the numbers, pressing call on the right one.

“What are you doing?” Bryce asked.

“I’m accepting Jacks invite.” I said as I turned to walk away.

~*~*~

I was shocked at first when Jack told me to meet him at his house the night of the dance. I always though the guy picked the girl up… I guess I was wrong. I fixed my dress, smoothing the fabric out and placing my hair perfectly so it would fame my face.

I want wearing that beautiful dress I bought at the mall. Instead I was wearing my homecoming dress from last year. It was a gold dress that when below my knees. It wasn’t just gold, but it had white in it as well. My hair was up in a tight bun, and my side bangs were curled in perfect ringlets around my face.

I knocked on the door. Jack opened it seconds later, and he was absolutely handsome. I opened my mouth to say hi, but he cut me off, “Your gona wear that?” he had a look of disgust.

I looked down at my dress confused. This was a beautiful dress, why is he making a fuss?

“Do you want me to change?” I asked sarcastically.

“No, there’s no time for that.” He said waving it off.

I frowned, is my dress really that horrid? I followed him to his sleek black mustang that was parked in the driveway.

As we drove to his school we sat in silence. The quietness was so loud it hurt my ears. I was so self-conscious. And I’m never self-conscious!

Jack cleared his throat, which made my head snap up.

“I would prefer if you didn’t tell anyone you’re a sophomore. Actually, just don’t talk at all.” He told me.

My frowned deepened even more. I felt like my lips my look like they were melting off my face. That’s how badly I was frowning. His harsh words were like a dagger stabbing me each time. Why is he so cruel now? He seemed so nice at the mall. But now he was acting like a totally different person and I hated it.

He pulled into his school. It was alive with students in the mood to party. He parked in a reserved spot for the varsity quarterback. I stepped out of the car, and waited for Jack. He appeared at my side, and wrapped an arm around my waist. I squirmed at his touch. I thought I might enjoy being the date of senior, but… He’s a total ass! He’s getting close to Bryce territory of ass-ley-ness.

We walked in and it was like walking in to a galaxy full of glowing stars. The room was dark with lightly illuminated paper lanterns and tea lights on the table. Heart attack by Demi Lovato was blaring. I was half expecting Jack to take me out on the dance floor. But instead he dumped me off at an empty table and told me not to leave.

I feel like a five year old in time out, as I watched everyone dance.I noticed Jack was surrounded by a bunch of guys and girls. He was flirting with the girls. It was totally obvious. It was the same moves he used on me I saw something shiny flash in his hands. It was a flask. Great! I came here with a senior who not only is a player and a jerk, but a drunk too!

I pulled out my phone, typed in a number and placed it to my ear.

It rung a couple of times before someone answered.

“Hello?”

“Hey Bryce, its me.”

“Hey Summer, what’s up?”

“Umm nothing, I was wondering if you could come pick me up. I’m at Edwardsville High School.”

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah I’m fine.”

“Alright, I’m heading out right now. I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

“Okay. See you then.”

“See ya.”

I hung up and slipped my phone back into my hand bag and pushed myself out of my seat. I walked towards the exit and pushed the doors open. It was chilly outside, and it immediately brought goose bumps to my exposed skin. It was quiet out here except for the few that were arriving late. I sighed a heavy sigh.

I felt arms wrap around my waist. “Whatchya doin out here?” Jack asked. His breath reeked of alcohol. I pushed myself away.  “I’m leaving.” I told him. “There’s no reason for me to be here.”

“Awww, of course there is darlin’.” he said wrapping his arms around my waist again. I tried to pull away but his grip was too strong. He slammed his lips against mine. I struggled even more. No, no, no! I don’t want this! Let me go! He tried to force his tongue into my mouth but I kept my teeth clenched together. He pushed me up against the wall, pinning my arms to my side. I had absolutely no control right now. Or did I?

I raised my knee, and it connected with his groin. He doubled over but quickly recovered. He pinned me back against the wall, leaning his weight against me so I couldn’t move. “I like ‘em feisty!” he growled before slamming his lips to mine again. He held my hands above my head with one hand as the other began to sneak up my dress. Tears began to stream down my face.

But Jack immediately broke away, and I dropped to the ground, crying. When I looked up I saw a tall figure standing in front of me. Jack lay on the ground with a bloody nose. “Stay the hell away from her!” Bryce growled.