Question the Reason

I sat down at the table sitting across from Jack. I awkwardly picked at my food while he questioned me. “Soooo, what’s your favorite color?”

“Blue.” I said awkwardly. It was the same simple questions Bryce had asked me earlier today, yet answering them with Jack was so weird? With Bryce it was silly and fun. With Jack it was like I was getting a tooth pulled out with every question he asked. I wanted so much to leave and go home. But something about the attention I was getting, made me stay rooted to my seat. I decided to give him a shot. “So what are you doing at the mall today?” he asked, eyeing my bag.

“I was dress shopping for homecoming.” I said as I took another small bite of my sub.

“Really? Well whens your homecoming?”

“It’s in about 3 weeks, but I don’t want to wait the last minute and have all the good dresses taken.”

“That makes sense.” He said, just as Brit walked up to us. “Summer, I’ve been looking everywhere for you! And-“ she stopped when she noticed jack sitting there looking at her with an amused expression. “Who’s that?” she asked, pointing at Jack.

“Brit, this is Jack. He’s a senior at Edwardsville High School.” I told her.

“Nice to meet you Jack.”

She turned back to me, “Summer I really need to head home, my mom just call and said that I have to babysit my cousins, and if I’m not home in twenty minutes I’m grounded for a week, meaning no game or practice.” She said franticly.

“Alright, let’s go then!” I told her standing up.

“Sorry6 Jack I gotta go.”

“Wait, what’s your number?”

I hesitated not really wanting to give out my number to this stranger. Brit rolled her eyes and said it for me. Then she grabbed my arm and dragged me to the door.

THE NEXT DAY

“so were you late?” I asked

“no. Which is awesome.”

“Yeah.”

“So, do you like this Jack that you met yesterday?” she asked.

I don’t know if I did or not. He’s nice and all but I’m not sure if I like him in that way. He’s texted me 10 times since I left the mall yesterday. But I have yet to respond to any of them. I just shrugged as a response as I shut my locker. We began walking down the halls when Bryce came up behind us.

“Hey Summer.” He greeted nonchalantly.

I seemed to relax greatly in his presence. “Hey Bryce.”

“So did you find a dress?” he asked.

“She found more than a dress.” Brit said, hinting towards Jack, the possible date to homecoming.

“Bryce raised his eyebrow, but ignored her. “So what color dress did you get?”

We stopped in front of Brits locker, and waited for her on the other side of the hallway. “It’s a blue dress, that has iridescent ruffles. It was so pretty. But in all honesty, I’d rather just go to homecoming in my cleats and soccer uniform, than a dress and heels.” I said honestly.

“I wouldn’t mind seeing you in either or.” Bryce said with a grin.

I giggled.

“So Summer, did Jack text you at all?” Brit asked joining our convo again.

This time Bryce didn’t ignore it. “Who’s Jack?”

“Just this hot Senior Summer met yesterday.” Brit told him. For once I’d like it if Brit kept her mouth shut.

Bryce was silent, and it was clear that our teasing and friendliness was gone for the time being. I wanted to shout, or maybe go crawl under a rock for the day. Anywhere but standing right here in this fog of awkwardness.

I didn’t dare look at Bryce. I glanced at Brit instead. She had a smug smile on her face. She did that on purpose! She purposely said those things, knowing I didn’t want her too!

“I gotta go. I’ll see you in German.” Bryce said to me walking away.

As soon as he was out of ear shot I turned to glare at Britney. “What the hell Brit!?”

“What?” she asked innocently.

“You know exactly what. Why did you do that?”

She looked at me thoughtfully for a second before responding. “Because I don’t like you hanging out with Bryce. He was a total jerk to you!”

“Yeah, and he apologized for it. No were trying to make this work for our German class!”

“Really? Really Summer? It’s all for the class?” she looked at me skeptically before walking away, and leaving me standing in the hallway all by myself.