Curse Words and Doughnuts

I feel sick. I want to just lay in bed, because I feel too weak to move. But deep in my subconscious mind I know that I’m not sick, I’m just sad. Upset. Confused? This was my second day of missing school. It was Friday. Which I was glad about. It meant that I didn’t have to go to school for two full days. I didn’t have to see him.

“Summer?” my mom peaked her head through the door. “I have to head into work for a little bit. Will you be okay here by yourself?”

“Yeah. I’ll be fine.” I told her.

“Well I’ll have my phone one me so if you’re feeling worse just call me and I can be home in 10 minutes.”

“I’ll be fine mom.” I repeated, as I rolled onto my side.

She didn’t say anything else. She just shut the door. I glared at the wall. I don’t know why but i did. Stupid fucking wall. I guess it’s time for me to get up and move around a bit. I swung my legs over the side of my bed and stood up. I walked slowly to my door, and out to the kitchen. I pored myself a glass of ice tea, and started to make my way back to my bedroom when I heard a knock at the door. I raised my eyebrow and placed my cup on the coffee table. I slowly made my way to the door, hoping that my lack of speed would make them go away. But the second knock seemed more impatient than the first. I unlocked the top lock than the lower, and pulled it open.

It took me a second for my eyes to adjust to the bright sunlight, but when they did I couldn’t believe my eyes. Bryce stood on my front door step. I stepped away glancing at the clock. It was only 11:15. School isn’t even out yet…

“Why are you here?” I asked, leaning against the door frame.

“I wanted to see if you were okay.”

I laughed a humorless laugh, “That’s funny. Now why are you really here?”

“Well I wanted to tell you that Frau Ash has given us zero’s on all our partner assignments this week due to our little… misunderstanding the other day.” He finished.

“There was no misunderstanding. You were just being an ass, as usual.”

He glared at me, “You were being a bitch. You left me at the game. And then you refused to tell me why!”

“Shouldn’t it be painfully obvious why I left?! You were a complete dick to me at half time when I tried to warn you! You were more worried about showing how superior you were to then you were about what I had to say. And I was right wasn’t I?! They beat you, doing exactly what I said they would do! It’s your own fucking fault, and frankly I don’t have time to deal with your bull shit Bryce!” I told him, raising my voice, and returning his icy glare.

I was about to slam the door in his face when he stopped me dead in my tracks with two simple words. “I’m sorry.”

At first I was stunned, but I wasn’t ready to fully forgive him. “Yeah right.”

“You were right, okay?! I’m sorry. But in all honesty you aren’t the easiest person to be around.”

I gawked at him completely baffled. “I’M NOT EASY TO BE AROUND?! Are you fucking serious!? It’s like the pot calling the kettle black! You aren’t easy to be around! You pick on me because I’m a year younger than you! You act like I should fucking bow down to you whenever I’m in your presence! Do you think that’s easy to deal with?!”

He thought about it for a moment, “Whatever. Can we just put this behind us? Can we start over and attempt to work together?”

“Me, work with you? I’d rather break my legs and never play soccer again than work with you!” I told him.

His eyes widened he knew the severity of my statement; after all, he plays soccer too. “You can’t be serious.”

I didn’t respond. I jst glared at him with hate filled eyes.

He sighed and looked away. “Summer. Please let me make it up to you. Let me prove that I can be easy to work with and that I’m not always a dick.”

“How could you make it up to me?”

He looked at me and grinned, running to his truck and returning with box labeled “Krispy Kreme” two mocha frappes.

“Oh. My. God. How did you know?” I asked, eyeing him suspiciously.

He let out a nervous chuckle, “I asked that girl I always see you with.”

“Britney?” I asked shocked

“Yeah.”

I still didn’t trust him. It seems that whenever I let my guard down around him, I regret it later. I think he could sense it my feelings. He gave me a small smile. “Take this as my peace offering.”

I hesitated for a moment before grabbing his peace offering. “Umm, would you like to come in?” I offered.

He smiled, “Yeah.”

 He followed me inside and I led him to the living room I placed the box of doughnuts on the coffee table between us. I grabbed a glazed doughnut and was about to take I bite when I remembered something.

“Was today a half day?”

“No.”

“Then how-?”

“After I saw you weren’t in German class I left. And I picked up this on my way over.” He said motioning to the doughnuts and frappes.

“You skipped class for me?” I asked, blushing.

“Yeah, in a way.” He said, sipping his own frappe.