Ghost- Part 4

Four Years Ago

     "Oh, shit," you mumbled, walking into the new building. It was the first day of your freshmen year of high school. Junior high was just child's play, but high school; this was the real deal. You were instantly met with the smell of cigarettes, weed, perfume, cologne, and coffee. You scrunched up your nose is distaste.

     "What's wrong, Y/N/N? Already hate it that much?" You looked forward and saw Jerome walking toward you. You smiled and fell into step with him. "Not just the school, my dear, but Gotham itself. I hate Gotham," you admitted.

     Jerome turned to you with a small pout. "Even me?" He asked in a baby's voice. You giggled and pinched his pale cheek. "Of course not. I mean, how could I hate the only friend that I have?"

He chuckled as you reached your locker. Jerome stopped, and waited for you to get your things. "You know, I hate Gotham, too. The people are boring, the food tastes funny, and it always smells like death," he said in disgust. You giggled and grabbed your books.

"Why don't we leave?" Jerome asked. You paused and turned to him. "What?" You asked. He smiled and stood up straight. "I mean, we both hate this damned city with every bone in our body. So, why don't we leave. Just you and me," he offered.

"Where would we go?" You asked as you shut your locker. He shrugged and led you to his locker, which was only a couple away. "Anywhere. We wouldn't even have to stay in one place for too long. We could literally go anywhere!" He grabbed his books and slammed his locker shut.

"With what money?" You asked. He sighed. "Money, money, money. That's all anyone ever talks about. Money this. Money that. Can't I just plan to run away with the only person I care about, and not have to worry about money?" He groaned. You blushed as your heart skipped a beat. You ignored it, knowing it was only because nobody has ever shown you this much affection.

You grabbed Jerome's hand, intertwining your fingers with his. You rest your head onto his shoulder as you walked. "One day, Jerome, you and I will run away. We'll go everywhere and anywhere. And who knows? Maybe, we'll end up back in Gotham," you predicted.

Jerome gagged. "I sure hope not. This town is cursed." You smiled and shook your head. "With criminals? What better way is there to have it?" You asked. Jerome shrugged, bouncing your heading. "It's not fun unless you are the criminal. Would you like to be criminals, Y/N?"

You shrugged as you both entered your first period, which you shared. You went to the back corner, and sat with Jerome. "Beats just living here. I think what we need is some fun," you offered. Jerome laughed. "I can agree with you on that."

Before you could finish your conversation, some boy sat next to you. You turned to him and saw he had jet black hair and blue eyes. He looked a little old to be in this class.

He turned to you and smiled. "Hey there, sexy. What's your name?" He asked. You examined him in disgust. "Nothing? Just 'sexy'? That's fine with me. I'm Christian. So, I was thinking, my friend Thomas is having a party this weekend, and I was wondering if you would like to come. It's gonna be tons of fun," he offered.

"I don't know..." You trailed off. You weren't really the partying type. You would much rather spend time with Jerome, watching a movie. He playfully smacked the table. "Aw! Come on, sexy! It'll be fun. There's gonna be booze, music, dancing, and so much more!"

You turned to Jerome, and saw he was staring at Christian with pure anger. You grabbed his hand, making his eyes snap to you. You looked at Christian, and saw he was confused. "My boyfriend and I aren't really the partying type. We like to hang out... privately, if you know what I mean," you whispered.

Christian nodded, his cheeks flushing red. "I'm sorry, man. I didn't know this was your girl," he apologized. He quickly stood up, and walked away. You giggled and let go of Jerome's hand, turning to him. He looked at you and smiled. "Movies at my house on Friday?" You asked. He nodded, still with a gigantic smile. "I got the snacks."

...

     You walked to your closet, and pulled out a large bin. You pulled the lid off, revealing everything you kept that could remind you of Jerome. The blanket you guys shared whenever you watched movies, or were just laying down and talking. The stuffed owl he got you for your tenth birthday. The hoodie he gave you when he found you outside, crying because of your father. You pulled out more and more junk, but stopped when there were only two items left.

     You pulled them both out, and stared at them. One was a small necklace with a heart locket on the chain. You opened the locket, revealing a picture of you and Jerome as kids, and on the other side, a picture of you and Jerome on the last day of junior high. He gave it to you the last time you guys hung out. You didn't know that the boy would never want anything to do with you again. You only thought it was a nice gesture. A token of your friendship.

     You looked at the last item and felt tears come to your eyes. It was a letter Jerome had written to you in eighth grade. You blinked away the tears, focusing on his handwriting. You stared at the paper, but couldn't force yourself to read it.

     You jumped as somebody began to bang on your front door. You sighed and stood up, making your way to the door. You took a couple of deep breaths, and pushed all thoughts of Jerome away.