Chapter 9

Durre:

Maarij had called me to her home saying that her amma has a surprise for me and also so that we could work on the chemistry project which was already on pending because of the accident with Khadijah.

I had to convince a lot to my mother and only agreeing to come back by 6pm, she had let me go.

Maarij was waiting on my doorstep, and finally tying my hijab I was ready to leave.

But it was weird, I was getting some really strange vibes.Before even we completely stepped inside her home, aunty grabbed me by my arms and almost squashed me into herself. I could smell several sort of spices from her dupatta and few traces of sweat had dampened it too. I wanted to cringe but uhh.. courtesy? I stayed there for a while until Maarij pulled me out of her embrace, whining I should be allowed to be with her right now.

After moving into her room, I confessed about my cringy moment on which first what I earned was a glare and then she bursted into fits of laughter.

" What? Why are you laughing like that? And how is it that you've just called me for the chemistry project and not Di? Tell me what are you guys hiding? "

Hitting on her arm, I complained.

' Ouch Durre, dont hit my poor brother like this. Infact if you do, he is so muscular that he will punch you back too and then it would be a WWE right here in our home! Hahahahahahaha '

What the.

" Tum kya bolrhi ho Maarij , dimagh tw thikane hay tmhara? (Are in your right mind) "

' Kuch nahi. (Nothing) '

And she giggled, trying to suppress her indecent laughter.

" Okay I am calling Dijah now! You are annoying me like a creep! "

' Heyy wait noo! My mother would just be coming here to inform about what we were hiding. Patience my dear. '

She smiled, a really cocky one.

Soon after that, aunty entered our room with a large tray of assortments decorated on that. God knows what's happening here! It gives me the feels that these people are trying to flatter me for something. But for what?

" Beta sit comfortably, and have this kebabs. I specially made them for you. "

Aunty sat beside me and presented the platter of kebabs decorated amidst the lettuce leaves, sophisticatedly. This is all so...

" Arre beta why are you looking at me like this. You are like my daughter too. Its just that I want you two to eat before working for your assignment, Hunain would just be coming. I am sure he is on his way. "

' But aunty... where is Khadija? '

" Who Khadijah ? "

I stammered for a while, thinking of the consequences if I told her that diljah was firstly a christian and she had been a recent convert.

' Umm. I meant Diljah. ? Why isnt she here? We all were supposed to do this project right, it was only because of her accident that it got postponed. '

" Yeah Yeah I know. Maarij didnt call her beacuse actually you're here for some other purpose. "

So this was coming. The actual reason and all her extremely sweet treatment, no doubt she was a polite woman but not so generous as she was being now. With her love and hospitality.

" Durreshehwar , I would like you to be my daughter for the rest of your life. It is that we had been discussing about Hunain's bride more often these days, so uh. Maarij thought that why to search and hunt here and there when you a gem is so closer in sight. Uh. . Durre shehwar I.. "

I had getting this exact kind of thoughts from my genius mind but I was not ready to accept this. That day when she took my picture in her gown, that day when she asked my likes and dislikes, and did all the processings in a very formal way... I must have known that this was going on in her mind.

' Maarij. I didnt knew you before . I guess. We make mistakes in judging people like the way we do in judging real gold and the artificial one. I am leaving. Allah Hafiz. '

I stood up from there, aggression was piling up inside me and all the previous hauntings came rushing forth to my rescue.

Ohh that night was so magical, as if some angel was playing tunes of God chosen love for us on a special request.

It was my 15th birthday, when he had planned a surpise night out for me. And to my astonishment, my parents knew of this. He actually had secretly proposed to me, asking my parents permission for my proposal and then had planned to confess this to me on the eve I turned 15.

The best birthday I ever had, or maybe the worst one. Afer that day, I never wished to be that happy in my life, or get gifts or the highlights as a special person. That night was a very special one, a very traumatic special one.

Ahh..

I couldnt control my tears and barged out of her house, regardless of the state I was in. I didnt check my hijab, I didnt bother to look back anymore, I didnt care who was calling me. I just wanted to be home and cry myseld to sleep, locking in my room.

Maarij:

I was beyond joyous to know that I had somehow convinced to bring Durre to my home. Really happy to have imagined scenarios in my mind that turned out to be this disastrous. I didnt knew Durre would take me wrong and would not want to be married to my brother and be my best friend forever.

She just left our home as soon as my mother informed her of the thing I had put in her mind. Maybe I had rushed things too fast. I should have asked her before proceeding to my mother. And what will happen when bhaiyya gets to know this ? Ya Allah what did I do? Why was I so dumb?

I thought of calling Dijah, maybe she would escort my mind of the havoc inside somehow?

On third bell, she picked up her call.

" Assalam.o.Alaikum Dijah. I want to talk to you. Can you pls come home? "

' Walaikum salam. Why Maarij? Is everything fine ? No yar! Nothing is fine! Durre shehwar is just upset with me because I brought her here and then my mother asked her... umm.. asked her hand.. i mean... I thought it would be better if we choose a wife for my brother in her. I saw best bride... '

I heard cracking of door loudly, and then Hunain bhai appeared in my sight.  There was a sudden deadly silence in the room, and  the person on other side was on silent mode too.

I didnt saw him this angry ever, I could see a mixed swirling of temper, pain and disgust in his eyes. I hanged up the call and ran towards him outside.

" Bhaiyya. Wait . Listen to me. Its not like what you heard.. Bha.. "

I could hear the loud bang of the door shutting of his room, after which mom too came rushing towards his room with teary eyes. It was all because of me.

Damn me!

Hunain:

I couldnt believe my ears, I was not ready to come to terms with what my mind had processed the little information I overheard, was to be so crucially painful.

It was then when I realised why that hurt.

It was time when I accepted my feelings rather than turning back towards it.

I was in love with her. This was not halal, but not haram either. I had the right to choose my spouse as Allah granted me to. It would be haram if I proceeded that in wrong direction and I would never wish intentionally to do that, for me it will always be pleasing Allah first before pleasing my heart. My heart belonged to my body and soul, but both of them belonged to their creator, to Allah. How can I betray Him?

A swirl of emotions were taking over me, I was not feeling comprehensible to what ammi and Maarij did to me, how can they be so cruel?

And I wonder how that girl might be feeling.