Chapter 19

Assalam.o.Alaikum
I am disappointed to see that the readers are gradually declining! Tell me what's lacking in me that you don't read my story, or don't  feel to put a Vote. :(

Hunain:

Days were passing like the swish of the wind, and I wasn't able to gather courage to inform my parents about the one who started living in my heart. There was a desi chaos in our household as Ma'arij was the would be bride in few days time. Most of the time my ladies were out shopping and I was left with either some work in the garage or as a driver to pick and drop Ma'arij and her friend  always, or ammi indulged me in booking and searching for a hall appropiate for 500 guests. Even though they first had said that all the wedding functions would be carried out with simplicity . These desi people change their thoughts more often then they change clothes.

Today was her haldi ceremony (applying turmeric paste along with some other herbs and sandalwoods ) , she was wearing a yellow shalwar qamees with gotta work on her sleeves and on the hemline of her shirt. It contrasted her fair skin tone perfectly . Wearing the rose ornamental garlands and hair band, the parlour aunty had her hair flowing gorgeously in swift curls. She was looking more like a princess.

Though we fought a lot, but she was my sister and I was getting all the brotherly vibes to protect her, to cherish her, to love and pamper my one and only sister. And today, she looked more than aesthetic .

Rubbing my hand at the nape of my neck ,I glanced at all our desi aunties who were trying to just cover her all up in that sticky yellow thing. Yuck.

My eyes moved on their own,finding their destination spot at the only one who had the audacity to steal my breathes away.

Diljah.

She was smiling at my sister, and was holding the turmeric paste bowl and her hand was slightly stained with yellow too.

*Astaghfirullah*

I recited more to myself, and then decided to just go and check on the garage workers. If I stayed here any more minute ,this temptation would kill me.

As soon as I had crossed the threshold of my house, ammi's voice was pitched enough to halt me on my track.

" Where are you trying to go? Forgot the tradition of our family? The bride's siblings have the haldi fight. And those who manage to win without getting stain on their face are declared winner and the one who loses will give a dinner treat to the other one. "

She announced flabbergasting my senses all at once, oh man how could I forget this ritual. I remember when my faraway relatives had supposed me their younger brother because they had none and then in the struggle to hide myself from yellow war splashes I had hidden under the table, afraid as a stray cat. But bhai being bhai had found me and then had just smashed my face with the haldi containing bowl and I even got to taste some of it due to him. I cannot forget that.

Turning back , my face now turned towards my mom, all my mehram aunts took advantage of being mehram and each and every one popped the balloon aiming at me and that included of course my sweet bride sister, but she didn't throw any balloon at my direction. It seemed strange. Her expressions were normal, I mean she seemed less interested now in yellowing me rather she was somewhere else. It didn't go unnoticed by ammi too .

" Ma'arij where are you lost beta? Cmon it's your turn. "

Ma'arij shifted her glance from space,now  staring directly in my eyes I could see her sentiments floating shallowly . She was about to cry.

' Oh no..no... No crying episodes behna. Come give me a hug. I won't forgive all this cruel people for painting me yellow but for you I will . '

Ma'arij moved forward and then ran into my arms. Even though I tried to not make her cry, but even my eyes moistened with unexplained tears. I rubbed the back of my hand at the corner of my eyelid , in an attempt to remove the unwanted shed of water. And the other had embraced the small back of my sister. I was trying to soothe her by patting her head.