-Broken-

Reaching the end of his instructions everyone begins exiting setting right to their tasks. Except for Ruben & Ben. Rosa and I watched them following behind them at a distance. They walked broken-spirited, returning either to the packhouse.

We watched both Ruben and Ben with heads down, quietly ascend the winding staircase steps like zombies without a word uttered. Disappearing go into Ruben's & Alejandro's room.

For the remainder of the daylight hours, a tensing silence took possession, settling throughout our home. As evening came still my son-in-law and grandson had not come out.

Without a word said between us, Rosa and I set about preparing dinner. Recently, at my son Randall's overbearing requests, Rosa and I took on the responsibilities of cooking for the pack-house becoming known as the pack-house cooks.

As such, we have a habit of always taking a few disposable spoons from the cupboard to sample the food, checking for missing flavors until today. This evening, we did not touch it. Neither of us in the mood to eat much less taste the cooking.

With help from some of the pack members, once the food was done quietly, the table was set and the tray-ed food placed on it in the dining hall. Everyone present helped prepare the dinner table but silently.

A heavy thick brooding silence permeating throughout the whole mansion. The sound of both conversing voices and Beta's own wittiness remained absent.

The members who did come to sit. Sit eat equally with the same equal silence. Many members barely eating. Others choosing not to eat at all because they could not. They just stared at their plates still empty before them.

Having finished making sure the food was set for the pack, Rosa and I took immediate notice without surprise, Ben & Ruben hadn't come down from the room to eat. We decided to prepare a plate of food to bring them.

Leaning forward, I pick up the tray of steaming prepared food placing it on my shoulder for my boys upstairs. Rosa looks at me her eyes containing heavy concern.

To reassure her I attempt at a smile succeeding only half, saying "if I need you I will call." My voice expresses my own inner intense suffering, Rosa nods to me acknowledged "Si Hermana (yes sister)"

Taking the large tray I ascend the stairs to their room, feeling the weight of sad stares emitting from the seated pack as they watch me leave. Arriving at the top step, walking to the grand master bedroom of my Alpha. I do not knock.

Rather, I gently push down the door handle and using my left foot, softly nudge the door open wide enough to enter with the food loaded tray. When I enter the room, they are not there. Looking about, I see the balcony doors open, it's pastel beige curtains gently blowing inwards from the incoming breeze.

Placing the large tray down on the chest at the foot of their bed, I leave it there and walk to the balcony. Looking out, I see to my right both father and son sitting in the white bamboo chair Alejandro loves and uses so much. Often curling himself in it to enjoy either the morning light rise or the evenings' sunset.

I see them as I approach, there on sofas sitting looking out to the lake, Ruben with Ben. Ruben who sits closest to the balcony door heard my approach. Without glancing my way, Ruben gets up and sniffling, heads to the banister leaning on it when he arrives.

He attempts to hide the evidence of his tears by wiping his nose with his hand, I know both he and Ben have been crying alone, it is his alpha way. I know without having to see proof, their eyes are red and puffy.

I know because I can feel both their powerful emotion like a tsunami, wash thru me. Nor does Alpha or Ben turn to me when I call their names. "Alpha, Benny." But briefly, as I approach his side, I see Ruben's nostrils expand, knowing he smelled the food.