A Path in the Roses

"Logan, I made breakfast." I waited a few seconds for his response but it never came. Odd, Logan was always up by this time. I had put off coming to get him a bit but there was no way he was still asleep. "Logan. Roman and Virgil are waiting for us, it's almost ten o'clock."

There was still no answer and no shuffling of papers or feet. I hated invading anyone's personal space but we needed to get to the kitchen to eat. I slowly opened the door.

"Logan," I called. My eyes went to his desk which was stacked with strategically placed books and paper filled with neat notes. He wasn't in his bed either. "Logan," I tried again. He wasn't here apparently. No clues as to where he would be either. I decided to return to the kitchen, maybe he said something  to one of the others.

"Have any of you seen...." I trailed off as I took in the scene. Roman held a plate over his face and a piece of bacon out like he was handling a sword. Both were covered in scrambled eggs and jelly. I smiled as I saw that they were laughing.

"Patton," Roman whined. "Help me. I'm pinned down!"

"Hey no fair. No recruiting! Besides if Dad was on anyone's side it should be mine," Virgil cried. He chucked another clump of eggs that Roman easily deflected with porcelain shield. I laughed at their exchange.

"Well it's egg'cellent to see you two getting along but we have a problem." Roman took a spoonful of jelly and flicked it in Virge's direction. It missed his ear by inches.

"Where's Logan?" Roman asked. They were both focused on me now.

"I don't know. He wasn't in his room and I was wondering if he had said anything to you guys about where he was headed? Or what he was doing?" They both shook their heads.

"Last time I saw him was last night, after you guys helped Thomas get to bed." Virgil nodded in agreement with his statement.

"We can split up and look for him maybe?"

"That's a good idea, Virgil. I'll check the garden. You get the library and Roman, check in with everyone to see if they know anything." With that we all split up in our chosen directions.

I followed the path in the garden, past the roses and to the big tree in the center. I couldn't see anyone else. Maybe he really was just in the library studying, then Virgil would find him.

I made my way back towards the exit. I had always loved the garden. It was a nice place to relax and just breathe. I trailed my hands over the flowers as I walked. The roses were especially fragrant today. I bent down to sniff one. I closed my eyes as the scent flooded my senses and I smiled. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a patch of red flowers, flattened to the ground. My smile slid into a frown. Roman hated it when someone stepped on his roses. I carefully made my way over to the disturbance where I found many more, almost in a path headed away from the bench and towards the woods.

The hair on the back of my neck rose. It looked like someone had been running. But what they were running from was a mystery. What if it was Logan? What if he was in trouble? I debated on running to get the others, then an earsplitting scream came from the trees.

"Logan!" I yelled. I took off towards the sound, following the steps in the roses. "Logan, I'm coming!" Panic gripped me. I had to get to him.

I entered the forest at a dead sprint but slowed as my eyes searched for Logan. I couldn't see him anywhere, in fact there was no one else but me. I took deep breaths as I continued to search. I was positive that I had heard him.

"Looog--" I was cut off by a hand shoved over my  mouth. i struggled as the green forest faded to black.