The Punch Line

As promised the passage way lead right to the front door, or as close as possible. We exited into the main hallway after pulling down on a light fixture and the wall moved away.

"Let's hurry," Logan whispered. Like we weren't already. We could no longer hear anyone pursuing us but we didn't take that as a comfort. I dropped my hand from Patton's but kept my grip on Virgil's. He looked like he needed the extra reassurance. 

"Don't worry," I whispered in his ear. "We're almost out of here. Then we'll be home." I gave him a small kiss for luck and drew my sword awkwardly with my right hand. I was way better with my left but that hand was busy holding something far more precious. I couldn't help but smile as I thought about how he had kissed me. I had foolishly went for it after all of my relief had shocked me. I thought that he would shove me away in disgust but that hadn't happened at all. 

"There might be more hostiles outside who are in league with Depression. So we need to be careful," Logan warned.

"No. They all hate him. Any of them would be glad to help you as long as they don't get into trouble for it. It's not like your side where they love you guys. You are all so compassionate and caring but Dep rules through fear. He uses his control over the darkness to control them," Virgil argued. 

A bolt of sadness went through me. What must it be like to live every day in constant fear by something that you had no control over?

"But you can control it too, Virgil. Why does he get to lead?" Logan questioned. I was about to come to Virgil's defense when Patton cut in.

"Sorry to interrupt but we really shouldn't stay here too long. We are still being chased." Logan gave a look that said this conversation wasn't over and turned to open the doors. With a shove they slid our to reveal the dark and dismal outside.

There seemed to be little sunlight and what there was was choked out by the heavy fog. Across the dry, crumbling ground were quaint shacks that seemed to be made of everything and anything; bits of wood, metal panes, cardboard boxes, and some small windows covered in bars. I could see no sign of any life or our home.

"That way," Virgil confirmed. "The exit is past the village. We need to hurry though. They're getting closer." He was correct. I could hear the footsteps becoming louder.

"What are we waiting for then?" I asked. We charged across the barren land at a dead sprint and made it to the first building in a record time.

"It's too open. They'll see us easily," Logan growled. "We need to find some cover and maybe we can wait them out." Virgil ripped his hand out of mine and pulled his hood up. I glanced over with concern but he looked away.

"Whatever we do, it needs to be fast." I indicated to the figures racing our way. Logan whipped his head around before racing off, waving at us to follow suit.  We raced down a dirty street and down another before turning into a house. Logan peeled the door open and rushed us in. Once we had all made it, he slammed it close.

There was a scream and we all jumped and turned to see another side standing in the room, his hands over his mouth. He wore dark jeans and a black t-shirt. His face is what concerned me the most. His eyes were ringed with tears and his cheeks were hallow like he hadn't eaten well for a long time. His eyes were dark and reflected a kind of sadness that I couldn't speak of.

"Please. We don't mean you any harm. We only wish to hide from our pursuers." I tried to carefully structure my sentences, unsure of who this side was.

"Is it Depression? I don't want to get into trouble." His voice cracked midway through the last word like he was going to break down into tears.

"I promise that we will in no way get you into trouble. We just need to stay for a little bit while they pass, please sir." He glanced over us, Logan with his arm around Patton as he gave a dry cough, Me in my stained white suit and bright sash, and Virgil a few feet away, his hood completely covering his face.

"Okay I guess." He turned away and took out a rag. He then used it to wipe away the tears that trailed down his face. "I'm sorry for being so weepy. It's just.. It's just that I can't help it. I'm Sorrow." He held out his hand and we all shook it, except for Virgil.

"I am Logan or Logic, that's Patton or Morality. In the white is Roman or Creativity and over there is," 

"Virgil," Virge cut in. Sorrow looked at us in awe.

"But that means that you're the Light Sides. The Major Light Sides. Why would you be here? In the Dark Place of the Mind? You don't belong here," he cried. We all sat down on his hodge podge of boxes. 

"It's a long story but Depression has been plotting. He wants to take over the whole Mind," I explained. 

He gave a choked sob. "He can't. That would ruin so much. If he had absolute power..." He was cut off by another sob.

"But he won't. We got away and we can stop him. He needs us and once we're gone he can't do anything. We won't let him, Kiddo," Patton promised. Sorrow seemed to relax a little bit at Pat's words.

"What is his job," Sorrow asked as he pointed at Virgil. Virge froze at his words and clutched the bottom of his jacket tightly.

"Virgil is just as important as us. And he helps Thomas just like any of us," Logan countered.

"Yeah but what does he do?" Sorrow pushed. "Why are you hiding over there if you're one of the Light Sides? Take your hood off." 

"No," Virgil shouted but it was too late. Sorrow had already reached over and flung it off his head. Virgil shrunk away as his hands trembled and covered his face but it was too late. The damage had been done. Sorrow's face turned even darker.

"Get out of here now," he ordered.

"But, but why" I asked. "We're here to help you, remember?"

He shook his head. "No. Not him. Anxiety works for him. I will not trust that he won't turn me in to his brother. All he has ever done was Depression's biding. He's a monster and that's all he will ever be! He never once lifted a finger to help any of us. So no, I don't welcome him here. Out now!" Again he swiped the tears away. I gripped my sword tighter.

"Take that back! Virgil has done nothing but help Thomas in every way that he can. He is one of us." The tip of my blade was now just below his chin.

"He could never be one of you. Your just blinded by the feeling you think is love. No matter how hard he pretends. Anxiety was, is, and always will be a dark side," Sorrow spit. I rushed forward and brought my left fist over in a nice left hook. My knuckles connected with his cheek and he collapsed to the ground in a heap. Logan caught me by the arm and pulled me away.

"It's fine Roman. We're probably safe to leave by now anyways. Let's not waste any more of our time on this simpleton with the IQ of a rock. On second thought, that's an insult to some rocks!" With that we left with Logan shaking in anger.

We made our way slowly through the town.

"Guys I'm really sorry that I ruined our plan and that I can't do anything and.."

"No, Virgil. Never believe that insufferable cotton headed ninny muggin! You are one of us and you do so much to help us and to help Thomas," I reassured. He gave a small smirk before looking down again. I gritted my teeth. What else could I say to help?

"Well, well isn't this just cute?" The voice chilled my bones.