Dental Tools, Handy in a Pinch

"Here Roman, take the sword." I turned to see Virgil holding it out, hilt first to me. "You actually know how to use it and we may have to fight if they catch up to us."

"Are you sure? You did pretty good on your own." I smiled at him. He blushed and shoved the sword closer to me. Even in the dim light I could see his cheeks flushing.

"I'm sure and besides I have my own ways. I didn't even use the sword. I mostly brought it because I knew you would need it." I nodded and took the blade from him. The hilt was soft and familiar, fitted to my hand and warm from his hands.

"Sorry Kiddos but we need to keep moving," Patton called from down the hallway. We took back off at a jog and caught up to the other two. We turned the corner and met another dead end.

"This castle is like a labyrinth," Logan commented. "We need to hurry though." There was a loud crack from the direction we had came that made us all jump. "If only we had a map. Virgil," He spun around to face the anxious side. "Do you remember the layout? Any of it at all?"

He shook his head. "I'm sorry but its been so long and I really tried to forget all of this." His hand traced over the dark stones that made up the structure. "Roman." 

"Yes?" I answered.

"When we all first went to your castle I hated it, remember?" I nodded but had no clue what my perfect palace had to do with any of this. "That's because it was so similar to this place. Every room and hallway was like the mirror opposite." I could see where he was going with this now. I know my palace like the back of my hand and if this one was built the exact same....

"This way." I took off, back the way we came and then down another hallway. Three lefts, a right, and one more left. Fourth door on the right. I tried to turn the knob but it stuck, locked.

"Stand back," I called. They scooted away and I took a few steps back before racing forward and dropping my shoulder. I hit it with a thump and bounced right off, toppling to the floor. I groaned as I tried to sit back up. 

"Roman, are you okay?" Virgil was by my side, his face wild with fear. I nodded and stood up. My whole left arm ached.

"That didn't work like I had planned," I tried joking, maybe they wouldn't see how stupid I felt. "But we need in there."

"I think I can help with that." Logan stepped forward and pulled something out of his pocket. It was a simple, long, case and inside were silver sticks with sharp edges. They seemed vaguely familiar but I couldn't seem to place them.

"Are those dental tools?" Virgil asked. I could see that he was correct they did look just like those that the dentist used.

"Yes, dental tools can be used to pick locks just like a lock pick set but dental tools are slightly more legal to carry around. You just have to know how to use them."

"And you just carry these around why?" I questioned. It was a little suspicious that he carried around a legal version of a lock pick set.

"You never know what you'll need them for but they are very good for picking locks especially in a situation like this." I decided to debate the correctness of this practice later, once it was done being helpful. "Patton come hold this."

"Don't worry I've been to the dentists, I know the drill!" He announced cheerfully. He gave a slight chuckle and obediently held the tools. Logan rolled his eyes before getting to work. There was another bang, closer this time. Virgil jumped and accidentally bumped into my shoulder. I winced but didn't say anything.

"I'm so sorry, Roman.." He started but I cut him off.

"Your fine. I'm not going to let any of them touch you ever again. Your safe." And I meant it too. I didn't know much about his past but these sides had obviously hurt him in some way and I wasn't about to let it happen again.

"Roman, you can't promise that. I.. " The door opened with a click and Logan motioned for us to rush through before he slammed the door shut and locked it again. "What now?"

I left the question unanswered and felt the bricks on the east wall. A bed sat on the north wall and dressers filled the opposite one but the furnishing wasn't what I was concerned about, even though it was a little drab. I ran my fingers softly on each stone before I felt one give just a tiny bit. Using both hands I shoved it deeper into the wall.

With a rumble the wall parted and revealed a dark, damp hallway. "A shortcut. I use this one in my Palace to get to meeting faster. It should bring us out by the door but it looks like this one hasn't been used in a while." Logan stepped forward and examined it before taking a tentative step. Patton went to follow him but stopped. Logan noticed and stopped also.

"Pat, what's wrong?" he asked. Patton's face had now turned an ashen color as he stared at the wall.

"Creepy crawly death dealers are everywhere in here. I'm sorry but I can't." He went to turn but Logan grabbed his arm.

"Hey, we'll get through this together. I promise. Most spiders don't like humans anyways but if we had some light it would be a little better." We looked around to each other but everyone shook their heads. No one had a light.

"You have dental tools but not a flashlight?" I questioned.

"No, it was a very statistically low chance that I would even have that. We'll just have to go through the dark. Patton grab a hold of my hand so we don't lose each other," Logan suggested. Patton turned and held both his hands out. I took one and nodded to him before turning to Virgil, my hand reaching for his. He cautiously slipped his into mine and I noticed how cold his skin was. 

"Let's do this," Virgil said. He seemed eager to get out of here and I couldn't blame him.

"Let's do this together," I agreed.