The Mom Friend Override Kicks In

"Roman, I need to talk to you." I subconsciously fiddled with the sleeves of my hoodie. This was a bad idea, I thought. What if I was bothering him? But this was important. There was something wrong with Patton this morning after he had come back from searching and of course my mind raced to the worst answer. Which actually fit perfectly.

My theory is that Logan had disappeared not by choice but he had been kidnapped but when Patton went to look for him, he was jumped. Then he was replaced by the one side who could look like anyone else. The one side who had just shown back up before this had all started.

I was hoping Roman was in his room alone so that we could talk. If anyone knew how to run a rescue mission it would be him, not to mention that he also had some weapons too.

I raised my hand to knock one more time but hesitated. Maybe that seemed too eager. Or maybe he was ignoring me. I instead decided to call his name one more time. There was a loud thump from inside the room, like someone had fallen. Without thinking I rushed forward and shoved the door open. Please don't be hurt, please don't be hurt, I prayed. I crashed into the room just as the last clouds of dark smoke evaporated. My panic grew. That meant a dark side had just been here and by my guess it was Deceit. 

"Roman! Roman!" I looked around frantically but he was nowhere to be found. I took a rushed step forward but jumped back when my toe hit something. I looked down to see a shining piece of metal with a handle covered in wrappings.

Roman never left his sword just laying around, he loved it too much. I could remember him talking about it for hours as he polished it clean. The fact that it was on the floor must mean that he had been using it maybe even while he was being attacked.

My breaths came out shaky. Roman was gone, he had been taken too. Just like Logan and Patton. I was all alone and the one person that I needed most had just slipped through my hands. I tried to stop it but the image of Roman just on the other side of the door from me burned through my mind, with his mouth open but no sound coming out as the darkness took him. I had been right there, just a few feet away. If only I wasn't so anxious and weird I could have opened the door myself and helped. I could have saved him.

I covered my mouth as the tears came to my eyes. This was my fault. I should have never tried to do this job. I should have stayed in the dark part of the mind, no matter how much it hurt me. Maybe then they would be safe and Thomas would be safe with them. I should have never agreed to this no matter how hard he pushed me. 

No, this wouldn't help. I needed to do something to help and this was not it. I know what he wanted but I had no idea what the plan was anymore. I was supposed to earn their trust, act as one of them and then somehow get them into the Pits of Forgetfulness with the help of Deceit. Then he could take over but I had changed all of that when I couldn't fulfill my part. Not once I had learned more about what it would really mean. Morality would be gone, there would be no right from wrong. Logic would be nonexistent and creativity would disappear. Thomas would be in ruins.

Over the years I could forget about my part, I tried to push it aside and hope that the dark sides would think it was all part of the plan but apparently his patience had run out.

If he had them they were probably in the castle, unless he had already tossed them out. I fell to the ground as the tears poured harder. What if I was too late?

They had just taken Roman though, which probably meant he would be fine for a little bit. Hopefully they were waiting to get all the sides before destroying them. If that was the case then I would still have some time but I would need to act quickly. I would also have to go back to that place. My hands shook as I wrapped them around the hilt of Roman's sword, the metal still slightly warm. There was still a chance and no matter how small it was, I needed to act on it.

I unsteadily rose to my feet with the sword still in my light grip. It felt foreign in my clammy hands. What was I doing. There was no way I could do this, I couldn't even say no to him so how could I attack him?

I imagined Patton as he smiled after another terrible pun, I couldn't help smiling at how happy he looked. Logan as he added his information and made things easier, easing the anxious thoughts. And Roman. Oh Roman. His confident smirk and his witty nicknames. His perfect acting and amazing ideas. How his eyes shone as he smiled, his beautiful laugh ringing through the whole room.

I gripped the sword tighter as I left the room. There were no more what ifs, I had to finish what I had started.