Too Late

"That's not possible!" I protested. They were all looking at me. I met Virgil's eyes and noticed his sure look. I also saw a flash of something else but only for a second. "There is no way that I can be the problem. I'm the Prince, I'm the good guy! There's no way I would help that..... that fiend!"

"It's not your fault, Roman. You didn't know you were doing it," Virgil tried. He laced his fingers with mine and gave a comforting squeeze.

"Maybe it would help if you explained to us exactly how Roman has been contributing. I am also unsure of how he could supply your brother with power." Leave it to Logan to turn the conversation to facts but this time I was grateful. I ran my hand through my thoroughly messy and slightly greasy hair.

"I don't know much about it but Deceit told me some. You all know how a side gains power right? They have to have a source, most of the time it comes from Thomas but they can also pull from another side. Depression feeds on others sadness. He turns it into power which he plans to use to cross the barrier and eventually take over everything. He's been planning this for years since we were children." Virgil cringed as he admitted it.

"So Depression is feeding off of Roman's sadness? So he can take over me?" Thomas questioned. Virgil tugged his hand out of mine and balled them into fist at his side.

"We won't let that happen," Patton promised. "Right guys? There has to be a way to stop them." Logan gave an unsure nod and Virgil looked at the floor.

"It does make sense. Roman had been acting out of the ordinary ever since Virgil returned to his original status. He has been uncreative, unmotivated, and overall unclean in his absence. At first I displaced these signs as him simply missing Virgil as we all did. That it just affected him more because they were closer but now I see how these could also be symptoms." Logan concluded. I opened my mouth to say it wasn't true but nothing came out. The fact was it was true. I hadn't felt like doing anything and my ideas had been few and far between.

"But Virgil's back now so everything is better." Patton smiled brightly. "And now that we know what's going on we can prevent it."

"I wish it was that easy, Pat but this is Depression," Virgil said dejectedly.

"We did it before though, Virge. We can do it again right?" He shook his head.

"I can't defeat him. Last time was a disaster you all barely made it out. He's better and stronger. There's nothing I can do to stop him."

I took my hand and tilted his chin up. Yet he still refused to meet my eyes. "V, please look at me." His dark eyes were wet as he finally looked at me. "He is not better than you and I have never met anyone stronger than you. We put you through so much before we realized that you were only trying to help after who knows how much shit you had to put up with from them. Yet you still stayed true to you. You are so much more than that coward." As I said it I realized how much I had ached to say these things, to tell him how sorry I was but thought I would never get the chance to.

Virgil gave one of his signature half smile, smirk things that I loved. Someone cleared their throats and I jumped.

"Excuse me but did I miss something here?" Thomas asked.

"No you didn't miss anything," Virgil mumbled, still looking at me.

"Ooookay then, moving on. Virgil you know Depression the best does he have any weaknesses or any way we can prevent him?"

"Dep controls the darkness in Thomas's head. That's what he does is spread it like poison."

"You can control it too, remember. You used it against him last time can we do that again?" I asked.

"That was a surprise to both of us. I hadn't been able to do it at that multitude before. Now he'll be expecting it and he has probably planned for it. I'm sorry but the only thing we can do is help Roman, so that he stops feeding him. If his power is cut off he can't cross the barrier and he can't do anything to you all. It's all we can do."

There was a loud pop as a black smoke covered Thomas's living room. In seconds I was on my feet. A cackling filled the room and my eyes widen as I realized what was going on. The smoke cleared to reveal him standing there in his dark jacket and sweatpants.

"Oh look at all of you. So pathetic, especially since you're all too late!"