Light

"Depression," Virgil hissed. I moved my hand to pull my sword out but grabbed only empty air. I had forgotten to put it on this morning. Logan and Patton moved in front of Thomas, putting more distance between him and the manifestation.

"Ah my dear brother," he spit as he took a step closer. "My dear traitor. How deep it cuts that you would just throw me out for this." he motioned around the room. "For them. A walking talking calculator, a dad figure who can't even make himself happy, and of course the Prince. Did you really think that could ever work, Anxiety? You and Creativity?" He laughed as he brushed Virgil's bangs out of his face. I saw Virgil flinch as he touched his skin.

Quickly I stepped forward and shoved Depression away. He snarled at me as he regained his footing.

"Although I have to thank you, Creativity. You're the reason I'm here. All that angst and sadness, it was practically a mailed invitation to me."

Virgil balled his fist. "Where's Deceit?" Some of the dark clouds swirled at his feet. "What have you done to him?"

"That one is being dealt with after you brainwashed him. You stole my closest friend."

Virgil took a deep breath and stood up straighter. "I didn't steal anything, Depression. He realized that our plan was wrong, just like I did. Please, you don't have to do this, you don't have to be the bad guy." Virgil turned with his hand out to Thomas who was staring, wide eyed at the scene before him. "Look at him, look at all the good Thomas does. All the people he helps, you'll destroy it all. You don't have to go through with this. Please, Dep, we can help you. Just like they helped me."

Patton smiled and Logan nodded, agreeing with Virgil. My heart swelled at the courage it was taking for Virgil to stand up to his brother.

"Why? So they can change me to be like you? Like you made Dee? A shell of what I could be, less powerful, soft? What about our plan, everything we worked so hard for? I'm your family, Anxiety, not them." He brought his hand up and the smoke spread. It trapped Logan, Patton, and I in a cloud, distorting our vision and slowly sapping our strength. I clawed at it but it reformed as quickly as I could destroy it. Thomas threw up his hands, trying to protect himself but it never came. Virgil held his hands up, concentrating on keeping it stopped and away from Thomas.

"I can't let you do this, Dep," he whispered. Depression's eyes met Virgil's and his face hardened.

"Then you'll perish with them." He tried to keep his voice strong but it cracked showing that it did hurt him to lose his brother. Maybe Depression had feelings after all. 

Virgil still struggled to hold it as darkness crawled up his leg. Sweat poured down his face, smearing his makeup. He brought one hand down to command it off but the cloud in front of Thomas inched forward. After a panicked second he brought his hand back, protecting Thomas with everything.

I screamed in frustration but it was muffled into a small screech. For a split second, Virgil's eyes met mine. I'm sorry, I can't do this, he mouthed. He stumbled and fell to his knees. I stopped struggling and sat down as the tears poured down my cheeks. This couldn't be the end, not after everything we had gone through.

I closed my eyes and imagined. I imagined Logan contently reading one of his favorite books. I imagined Patton giving a huge group hug to us all. I imagined Virgil with his head tilted up as the rain poured onto him, his music replaced by the beat of Mother Nature. Patton holding a dog and squealing about how cute it was. Logan smiling at Patton. Me being with Virgil in the garden, under the tree. Thomas with his friends and his family. I imagined every happy moment of Thomas's life and ours.

Again I met Virgil's eyes as the darkness climbed up his neck but he refused to try and stop it. Instead he was focused on Thomas. I imagined a different time with him in front of the stairs, giving his adorable laugh that he always tries to hide. Suddenly the cloud cleared away and I was bathed in red light. I could see clearly again.

I raced over to Virgil as Depression stared in shock.

"No. No, impossible!" I ignored him as I found Virgil and wrapped my arms around him.

"Happy thoughts! Think of happy things. Anything you can." I hoped he would be able to hear me. "Please, Virgil, you can do this. You are good. You are one of us!"

Ever so slowly I felt the coldness seep away as the smoke fell and curled to the floor. A purple spark, like lightning split through it before shining outward from Virgil.

I opened my eyes in time to see Patton escape with Logan in his arms, both in a blue hue.

"No, this is impossible. There's no way you can escape it. You can't control it!" Depression screamed. I stood looking at him, my hand in Virgil's and the other one held by Patton, connecting me to Logan.

"No we can't control the darkness but we can use the light," Logan said calmly. Virgil looked down the line to all of us and I smiled at him, enjoying the warmth that spread throughout me. I didn't know we could do this but it felt powerful.

With a snarl, Depression threw his arms over his chest one crossing the other and pulled the darkness to him, covering his body before disappearing completely.

After a few seconds of silence, Thomas spoke up. "Is it over? Is he gone for good?"

I opened my mouth and started to joyously answer him.

"No," Virgil muttered. "He's just gone into the Mind to wreck havoc. He's still there and we need to stop him." My stomach dropped at his words as I realized it was still not over.