Happily Ever Never

I raised my sword and placed myself in front of the others. Why couldn't our luck have held just a few more minutes? We were just feet away from what I assumed was the barrier. A smoky gray wall that covered the whole entryway into what looked like one of our hallways. Then he had showed up. 

A smile played on his lips but something was different from his usual one. Instead of a smirk it looked like a real bittersweet smile. I froze as I recognized it. Deceit had never smiled like that. He started forward, towards us. 

"Stay back!" I cried as I pointed my sword towards his chest. He listened and stopped just a few feet in front of us. He took his hat off and held it in his hands, revealing his bewildering hat hair.

"You should be quiet before any of the others hear you. I don't want Depression to come running." I kept my sword up even with his heart. What did he want and how would doing this achieve it, I thought. I had never been one for planning through and Deceit was hardly ever rational. 

"I don't mean you any harm. Please just let me explain. I want to help you guys and I have never said anything truer." I bit my lip and debated. Why should I trust him, he is Deceit for crying out loud!

There was a hand on my forearm, warm and reassuring. I looked over to see Patton by my side. He had shoved past Logan to me.

"Roman. Lower the sword. We should talk this out. I believe that he is trying to tell us the truth." I opened my mouth to argue but he cut me off. "Please. Besides we out number him. If he had wanted to he could have already had Depression her to detain us. We need to give him a chance." 

"Fine but if you try anything, Snake Boy, then I will show no mercy and you will regret having ever been created." I sheathed the sword on my side and crossed my hands over my chest, ready to see what excuse he had this time.

"I wasn't always so important to the Dark sides. I grew up in a shack just like these but one day I caught the attention of a boy. This was before we had a ruler or any sort of system. Everyone struggled to survive because Thomas's childhood holds such happy times. This boy and his brother had an idea. He wanted to bring the Dark Sides together to help them grow stronger.

I was entranced by these ideas so I decided to help. We were going to make the world a great place, the three of us. Remember that, Anxiety?"

Virgil squirmed as all eyes were on him.

"I fell wholeheartedly into the cause. Create more trouble, grow our powers and maybe eventually rule. We planned for years for it. Depression came up with the idea to introduce Anxiety to the Light Sides of the Mind. Thomas was a teenager at the time. So confused about everything and worried about who he was that it was the perfect time to let Anxiety through.

The plan was simple. Depression and I would unite things here while Anx destroyed all hope in the Light Side. Then when you were all at your weakest the barrier would break down, allowing us to take over both portions of the Mind.

But I don't want that anymore and maybe I never really did. I've seen Thomas now and I know what he does. I've seen how he helps others going through the same problems. Letting Dep take over would ruin him. He would snuff out that light that makes Thomas shine so bright. And no matter how much I love him, I can't let him do this to Thomas." A tear ran down his cheek as he looked down at the muddy puddle at his feet.

"I'm so sorry for everything I've done and I hope that you can all forgive me. I'll leave now to go throw him off but you might want to hurry. And Anxiety," he paused and waited for Virgil to look at him. "I'm so sorry that I can't change how this all turned out." With that he turned and ran, out of the alley and out of sight.

"Virgil is this true?" I asked. He nodded and spoke up.

"Once I got there I realized that I couldn't do it. You guys excepted me like no one ever had and I loved that. I wanted to stay and I never thought that Dep would try this. It's all my fault. I'm so sorry." His voice cracked with sorrow. I placed my arms around him.

"It's okay, Virgil. You saved us and we're almost home. Then everything will be fine. We'll have each other," I promised.

"Let's go home guys," Logan said. We turned and headed for the barrier. Logan and Patton went through hand in hand. I turned to look at Virgil.

My smile dropped. He hadn't moved at all. Tears were now visibly rolling down his face. "Virgil, come on. We're almost home." He looked up at me and brought his hand towards my cheek. I placed my hand on his as he continued to cry.

"Oh, Roman. I'm so sorry. I'll miss you so much." I took my hand from his and cupped his face.

"Hey we're going to be together. Come on the barrier is right over there. I didn't understand what the problem seemed to be.

"Roman. I can't go through the barrier. The last time I did it was during a very anxious time in Thomas's life. With that my power had grown and I could pass through. The barrier is a prison cell for sides like me. Thomas is happy, Roman. He doesn't need me anymore." 

My heart stopped. By coming here he had sealed his fate. He knew he had been waling into a trap yet he still did it for us. "NO. NO. NO. We need you remember? You keep Thomas in line. You help us so much."

"And I'll continue to do those things but I'll be here. My power will be lessened. It's better this way anyways. Thomas will still have a reasonable amount but none of the heightened anxiety he does now. Thomas doesn't need me anymore." I could now feel the hot tears on my cheeks. There was no way this could be happening. We were so close. So close.

"The hell with Thomas, I need you Virgil!"I screamed. "Please," I choked out. I leaned in and kissed him, strong and slow, making sure that he was still here and pretending that it would fix whatever evil spell that had been cast on me. His lips were warm and salty. I pulled away slightly so that our lips were still barely touching. "Please Virgil. Don't leave me. If you stay then I do too."

"You can't, Roman. This place will destroy you. I can't sit here and watch that happen. They need you Roman. Please if you really do love me then leave," he begged. He was right. This place was already having its affects on me. I felt weaker and my usual powers didn't work. With shaking hands I pulled my sash over my head and placed it in his hands.

"I'll come back for you Virgil, I promise. No matter what it takes. I love you, Virgil." I slowly started towards the barrier. Our hands unclasped and slowly fell apart. I kept my eyes on Virgil as I made my way back. Suddenly I saw three figures coming up behind him, one controlling a dark cloud of mist. I rushed forward but was drug away by two pairs of hands, through the wall. I watched the whole way as Depression engulfed Virgil.

I screamed until my lungs gave out and the world turned black.