Chapter One: You Can't Run From The Truth

I opened my eyes, the light pouring in from the slightly opened window. I let out a groan as I got out of the bed, closing the curtains with a grunt.

I turned to see Steve staring at me, I rolled my eyes as he chuckled at my irritated state.

"You're cute when you're grumpy,"Steve said, holding out an arm for me to crawl into.

I let him wrap his arms around me as I snuggled into him. Then I couldn't hold the laugh in as he buried his chin into my neck, his beard tickling me as I squirmed.

"No fair," I joked as I continued to laugh as he did it more.

"I didn't want you to look so down," he told me as his own small smile was on his face. I felt touched as his words comforted me.

"Well you know I hate mornings, besides my side has been killing me,"I told him, lifting my tank top and motioning to the bruises sprinkled across my skin.

I could see him flinch as his hand hovered over the blue and purple marks on my skin.

"It's apart of the job," I reminded him, regretfully pulling myself away from his embrace. If I didn't get up now there was no way I'd leave the bed. I grabbed my metal arm off of the chair and put it in place before going to the bathroom to get ready.

I looked in the mirror, I was still getting used to my new hair. It was chopped off to my shoulders, in a long bob. It was also now a chocolate brown, which was Natasha's idea.

"We have to hurry, they found something," Steve said from the room.

I rushed through the routine, going out to put my suit on. I put it on quickly, not wanting to waste more time than necessary.

"You know we still need to talk when we're done with this, you can only avoid it for so long," Steve reminded me, his blue eyes staring into me. I felt like he could look right through me, straight into my soul. It was killing me to hide this from him, to keep this one thing to myself. The one thing that could ruin our family.

"I can try," I told him bitterly, zipping myself up before going out the door.

I felt bad as I continued to avoid the one talk he kept bringing up, but I didn't know how I could tell him.

How I could ruin his dream.

"You can't run from everything Mo," Steve said, catching up to me quickly.

"You're not the one who can read minds so I think I can avoid talking about whatever I want," I replied stubbornly. Steve only chuckled in response as if he didn't think I meant it. I knew he was trying to respect my space, something I appreciated, but I hated keeping it from him and felt like I deserved to be yelled at. The guilt was eating me up inside, and the more understanding he was, the more guilt I felt.

"I mean it Rogers, I don't want to talk about it," I warned him. "Not yet anyways."

"We have to eventually," was all he replied before we made it to the rendevouz spot.

Natasha and Sam were already waiting on us.

"Any word from Wanda?" I asked her, hoping she had finally answered us.

"Not yet," Nat replied, I watched as she looked between Steve and I. I could tell she instantly saw the tension.

"Don't ask," I muttered, not leaving room for objections.

She held her hands up in surrender.

"I don't want to touch whatever that is with a ten foot pole," she replied, whispering in my ear.