Chapter Seventeen: It's Over

Steve and I entered the Avenger's compound. We made our way to our old room. It no longer mattered what happened in the past. This was our home and we needed to be with our family. 

We entered our room, both of us were silent. The room smelled stale, as no-one had been in for years. We had been on the run for so long, yet the room still felt familiar.  I closed our door, turning to look at my husband. We  both felt beat, defeated. 

I sat down on the bed, feeling as if the whole world was weighing down on me. 

"We can get through this," I told him, finally filling the silence. 

Steve stayed silent. I watched as he ripped the shields off his arm, throwing them in a heap on the floor. 

"I don't see how! The world was depending on us and we lost! Morgan we lost!" he finally exploded. 

I stood up, grabbing his hands, they were both shaking. I could see how devastated he was, it was all in his eyes. I cupped his cheek in my hand. 

"We will fix this," I told him. He tried turning him away, but I forced him to look back at me. "We will fix this." 

"How do you know?" he asked me, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Because we have each other. We will figure this all out together," I told him. I was trying anything to make him feel better. 

Steve didn't say anything, just grabbed me in a hug. 

"I thought you were gone," he told me finally, his shoulders were shaking. "If I had lost you too, I don't know what I would have done." 

"I'm right here and I'm not going anywhere." 

We stayed like that for hours, I cradled him as we sat in silence. There was nothing left to be said. We had to do something. 

~~

I woke the next morning, feeling as if our world had exploded, which, I guess it had. But, I pulled myself up anyways. I was going to pull the whole team if I had to. Or, whatever was left of it. 

Suddenly my phone was ringing, I ran to grab it. It could be anyone with anything now. I didn't want to miss anything. 

I answered the phone quietly, as Steve stirred in bed. I didn't want to wake him. Whatever sleep he could get, I was going to let him. 

I walked quietly to our bathroom, slowly closing the door, only leaving a small crack.

"Clint? What are you doing? Are you okay?" 

"What the hell happened Morgan? Where's my family?" he asked desperately. "What the hell happened?" 

"He won Clint, I'm sorry," I squeaked out. "Thanos. He did it." 

"He won," Clint repeated, his voice not sounding like his own. It was distant and cold now.

"Clint are you okay? You need to come-"

Before I could say another word the line went dead. I tried calling him back, dozens of times in a row, but it went straight to voicemail every time.

"Dammit, dammit, dammit!" I screamed. Throwing the phone against the bathroom wall. The phone shattering everywhere. 

"Mo-" Steve said, suddenly behind me. "Is everything okay?" 

I turned around, probably looking wild. I ran my hand through my air, trying to calm myself. I would not lose it. I would not let the anger get the better of me. Not this time. Not when it felt like he needed me. 

"Yeah, uh, everything is fine. I was just talking to Clint," I responded, trying to make it seem like everything was normal. But, then both our eyes went to the shattered phone. 

"You're allowed to break too," Steve told me. Kneeling down to pick up the pieces, but I stooped down to his level, pulling him back up. 

"No, I can't. Not this time. Someone needs to hold everything, everyone, together." 

"That person is allowed to have moments too," he reminded me.

"I'll break once this is all over. Once the pieces are back together again." 

~A/N How did you like the final chapter? I wanted to leave it opened for the first chapter of the new book! 

Thanks for the amazing support on this book! You're all amazing! And I hope you're ready for the new book! ~