Chapter Five: Arrest Me

I could feel myself grow tense as we landed down at the Avengers Facility. My heart almost longed for it, to feel the comfort of those walls again. It had felt like home to me, to us. But, it seemed like that was a lifetime ago. I'm not sure we could ever get back to the place again.

Steve seemed to sense my apprehensions as we got closer and grabbed my hand in his, giving it a squeeze. I smiled at him, silently thanking him.

"It's so weird coming back here," I told him, still not sure how it would feel walking in. "I really thought I'd never see it again."

"I knew we'd come back one day," Steve said, surprising me.

"Really?" I asked. I was intrigued by this. I know on my end I didn't know if we'd ever set foot in the facility again. I had always hoped we would, but hope never seemed to be a close friend of mine.

"If there was one thing I've learned, it's that the world never stays quiet for long. It was always in the back of my mind we'd have to team up for something big," Steve started. "It looks like something big is here."

I nodded along, wishing we were here on different circumstances. That it didn't take a threat to the universe for use to come back to this place.

"You know, I'm still sorry about all of that," I told him, lowering my voice. "I didn't mean to disrupt the life you had."

"I didn't have a life before you walked in," Steve reminded me. "You ignited something in me after I woke up from that ice. I don't regret a single thing."

I wrapped my arms around him quickly, not wanting the moment to escape us. He grabbed me just as tight, kissing the top of my head as we embraced.

"For better or worse," I whispered to myself, knowing we would have to face worse again.

Then, the jet was completely landed and it was time to go in. I couldn't hide in the jet forever, so I pushed down any feelings of worry. I followed behind Steve as he was the first one off of the plane. I didn't know who all was here, all I knew Tony and Peter were missing. We needed to hurry and figure out just what was going on.

We walked quickly to the conference room, I had searched for anyone's mind who was there. I found Rhodey's quickly. He seemed to be in a hot debate with Secretary Ross.

Secretary Ross was in holographic form when we entered, Steve and I were the first he saw. Natasha was right behind me. Vision, Wanda, and Sam were all right behind. Sam and Wanda were supporting Vision who was still in a great amount of pain.

"Mr. Secretary," Steve said, nodding his head at Ross.

I could see, even in the holograph Ross visibly tense up. His eyes narrowed as they looked upon our group. They narrowed even more when he made eye contact with me. I held my own stern gaze, not backing down.

"You've got some nerve," Ross said, his holograph self walking towards us. "I'll give you that."

"You could use some of that right now," Natasha answered him.

Ross ignored her, turning his attention to Steve and I.

"The world's on fire and you think all is forgiven?"

"I'm not looking for forgiveness," Steve said defiantly.

"And I think we're way pasting asking for permission," I added.

"Earth just lost your best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too," Steve told him, not backing down either. I felt incredibly proud in this moment. It took everything in me not to grab his hand.

Ross stared at us for a moment, his eyes not leaving Steve's. He then turned towards Rhodey.

"Arrest them," Ross said.

"All over it," Rhodey told him, closing the holograph. I felt relieved as soon as Ross' presence was out of the room. "That's a court martial."

"Arrest me then," I said to Rhodes, my eyebrow raised in question. There was a smirk playing on my face.

"It's great to see you Morgan," Rhodes said, a smile on his face.

"You too, Rhodes," I said, quickly wrapping him in a hug.

Steve came up, giving him a handshake. The past seeming to have lifted.

"It's good to see you too Cap," Rhodes said.

"You too," Steve replied.

Everyone else all greeted each other. The mood feeling almost normal again.

"Wow, you guys really look like crap," Rhodes said to us. "Must've been a rough couple of years."

"Well, the hotels haven't exactly been five star," Natasha said. Saying exactly what the rest of us felt.

"Uh, I think you look great..."

I turned my head to see Bruce awkwardly entering the room. I turned to look at Nat quickly, to see what she was thinking. Her eyes didn't look at me, they were only locked onto Bruce. We didn't know if we'd ever see him again.

"Uh, yeah I'm back," Bruce said.

"Hi, Bruce," Nat said.

"Nat," Bruce replied.

I could see a small smile appear on Nat's face. Although she would never admit I knew she had never stopped worrying about him since he turned off the locator on the jet. I turned to look at Steve, his own expression held a look of surprise.

"What the hell?" I mouthed to him, trying to keep myself quiet.

"This is awkward," I heard Sam mutter behind us.

"It's uh good to see you, all of you," Bruce said. Looking at all of us now, as if it was the first time he had noticed everyone else.

"Glad to see you're okay," I spoke up first, no-one else saying anything yet. I watched as Bruce looked down at my metal arm. I almost flinched from his gaze, wishing it wasn't the first thing everyone saw.

"It looks like I missed more than I thought," Bruce finally said.

"You really did," I said, a small smile on my face.

"We should get moving," Steve spoke up. I felt myself sigh a breathe of relief. Glad to get things moving along. "There's not a lot of time. We don't know how long we have."

We all moved to another room, it was time to get down to business.

~A/N Hey everyone! Wow, I am so sorry it has taken me so long to update. My college classes, and life in general, has really been kicking my ass lately. But, I am so glad you all are still reading and following my series! It means the absolute world to me! I am on break now so hopefully this means I can get more writing in!

QOTC: How did you like this chapter?
Also did you watch the Avengers: Endgame trailer???

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Please if you enjoyed this chapter leave a vote or comment and let me know what you thought. It is aloo really appreciated!~